Quote Originally Posted by aahicnow
Greenfly I was just reading some of the sample hacks and I may be way off here , but the stuff in the sample hacks seems to geared to the beginner level user. Is there more techinical info provided ?? Guess I am asking what user level is the book geared towards?
Oh cool they threw those up. Thanks for letting me know about that.

Well some of the ones they posted were a bit simpler (ie the Migrate to a New Hard Drive is probably the most technical one that is listed) but I would say that hack is in the "Intermediate" range for the book. The first couple of chapters are aimed more for beginners, the middle sysadmin chapters are aimed at Intermediate and Expert users (and yes there are more expert-level hacks in there, we just didn't list them as sample hacks). The end of the book remastering hacks are either Intermediate or Expert level.

Some of the more Expert-level hacks cover topics such as how to create your own live-install programs (Fabian wrote that one) creating emergency routers, web, file, and other servers, wardriving with Knoppix, collecting forensics data, editing the Windows registry, and a number of hacks covering software RAID.

Really I've tried to give something for everybody in the book. Beginners will have info they need to use Knoppix without being lost, experienced sysadmin will find nice tricks to save them time and do a lot of the common rescue CD tasks all from Knoppix, and even expert Knoppix users should learn things from the more advanced hacks (apparently even Klaus learned some stuff he didn't know was possible when he read it).

It'll be in stores October 27th, so if you are unsure that you want to preorder you can always flip through it in the bookstore