Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: No desktop

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8

    No desktop

    For some reason, when I boot up knoppix, It does all of the stuff it needs to do, but it doesnt take me to the desktop..Just a full screen terminal..


    Can anyone help?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Sounds like you need to use a cheat code to pass the proper parameters to your hardware. Tell us about your video card and monitor. You can find the cheat codes in the Docs.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8
    Well, I have a laptop with a 15.4 inch screen.

    The video card...

    A radeon IGP 354M w/64 mb of memory


    Also..If it helps, I was going over to my mom's (different IP or something?(my parents are divorced)), and I was in the terminal, and typed "shutdown now"..it said "sending all proceses the TERM signal", then froze up, so I had to use a hard shutdown...If that makes a difference..It was working before when I was @ my dad's..

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8
    Can anyone help?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    I presumed you were running the live cd. If so it shouldn't make any difference how it shut down. If running from hdd install then it *may* matter.

    When you boot the disc on subsequent attempts are you using any cheat codes? Perhaps try:

    knoppix xmodule=radeon

    Or perhaps another cheat code or combination of codes. They can be found here: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes

    Usually it should provide an error message when it fails to start X (x-windows). Post the error please.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8
    I'm not running from the CD. I'm running from the HD. It has all the hardware info saved on it. So, I'm not sure why it wouldnt work, because It was working, like, ten minutes before..

    I also have no clie how to enter the cheat codes..=/

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    Tell me, do you have a user login at the full screen terminal you get after booting?

    If you do, you can login, and type the command:
    Code:
    startx
    or even:
    Code:
    X :0.0 | xterm -display :0.0 -e startkde
    Then, you should have a desktop, unless something has gone terribly wrong with your installation.

    Also, you may wan't to post any errors you get at bootime (if any), and, or, any errors while trying to start X (only if you have a login of course).

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8
    The only error I get with the full-screen terminal (or what I think is an error), is, unstable tty..But that's it..

    EDIT: Thanks! Startx works! Is there a way to get that to boot up automatially?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Thanks! Startx works! Is there a way to get that to boot up automatially?
    Run ksysv as root, and you can edit your init (the programs which are started automaticly at bootime). It should include the program kdm.

    Here is where kdm appears on mine, you can edit your's correspondingly (simply drag and drop, programs are to your left):
    Runlevel 2 (kdm should be underneath rmnologin)
    Runlevel 3 (kdm should be underneath rmnologin)
    Runlevel 4 (kdm should be underneath rmnologin)
    Runlevel 5 (kdm should be underneath rmnologin)
    Stop (underneath Runlevel 0, kdm should be first)
    Stop (underneath Runlevel 6, kdm should be first)

    If kdm is already in these places, then, most likely, something is killing your init at bootime.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8
    I'm sorry. I did not understand a WORD of that..lol

    I'm fairly new to linux..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Desktop
    By jr0d82 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 12:14 PM
  2. No Desktop
    By Guider in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 09:33 PM
  3. no kde desktop
    By jon267 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-12-2004, 09:44 PM
  4. Q: about kde desktop in v3.6
    By 2fat in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 06:07 AM
  5. Rox desktop
    By softgun in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2004, 03:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2x SAMSUNG 32GB DDR4  2RX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY M393A4K40CB2-CVFC0 64GB TOTAL picture

2x SAMSUNG 32GB DDR4 2RX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY M393A4K40CB2-CVFC0 64GB TOTAL

$300.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 2x16GB DDR4-3200 CL16 White CMW32GX4M2C3200C16W picture

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 2x16GB DDR4-3200 CL16 White CMW32GX4M2C3200C16W

$174.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$159.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Samsung 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Desktop Ram Memory (M378A1K43DB2-CTD) Tested picture

Samsung 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Desktop Ram Memory (M378A1K43DB2-CTD) Tested

$29.99



16GB DDR3 RAM Kit (4x4GB) 1333MHz UDIMM, PC3-10600U Memory, 240-Pin CL9 1.5V picture

16GB DDR3 RAM Kit (4x4GB) 1333MHz UDIMM, PC3-10600U Memory, 240-Pin CL9 1.5V

$72.99



Kingston 8GB DDR4 DIMM PC4-2400 Non-ECC Memory Module KCP424NS8/8 picture

Kingston 8GB DDR4 DIMM PC4-2400 Non-ECC Memory Module KCP424NS8/8

$23.00