Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: wireless....about to give in :-(

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    30

    wireless....about to give in :-(

    Some good soul I hope can help me with this:
    I bought a D-Link DWL-G650+ wireless card. Well, so far so good...
    Googling, I got in to:
    http://www.wearablelinux.org/modules...showpage&pid=1
    Here, the thing starts becoming ugly to me as a newbie. I have downloaded everything but I am really stock here.

    The million question....did anyone figure out a simpler process????
    If not, I ll be spending some nights to make it work! or may have eaten the f..... card...

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    30
    According to http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz, the DWL-G650+ uses a TI (Texas Instruments) chipset. Try Googling for 'linux TI chipset' or similar.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    30
    Thanks!
    I ll try that.


    Quote Originally Posted by gruntbuggly
    According to http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz, the DWL-G650+ uses a TI (Texas Instruments) chipset. Try Googling for 'linux TI chipset' or similar.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    18
    FabianD

    Your card is using a TI ACX111 chipset. Google acx100 and go to the sourceforge page for the project (s/b #1 on the response list). After that then go to the link further down that has to do with houseofcraig.net and read that. I'm using an acx100 card (the older cousing 802.11b vs g) and have had pretty good success. One caution is that WEP doesn't work with this driver for the 111 chipset.

    Sokminer

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    30
    I appreciate your help!
    I am googling as gruntbuggly told me, but still not getting to good results.
    You have given me additional data, I hope I can do something with this card.
    I ll be back to the forum and tell the news...
    Thanks.


    Quote Originally Posted by sokminer
    FabianD

    Your card is using a TI ACX111 chipset. Google acx100 and go to the sourceforge page for the project (s/b #1 on the response list). After that then go to the link further down that has to do with houseofcraig.net and read that. I'm using an acx100 card (the older cousing 802.11b vs g) and have had pretty good success. One caution is that WEP doesn't work with this driver for the 111 chipset.

    Sokminer

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    30
    Sokminer:

    Trying to find if my wireless card had this chipset and according houseofcraig webpage I did this:

    root@0[knoppix]# lspci -n
    0000:00:00.0 Class 0600: 1039:0650 (rev 80)
    0000:00:01.0 Class 0604: 1039:0001
    0000:00:02.0 Class 0601: 1039:0008 (rev 14)
    0000:00:02.3 Class 0c00: 1039:7007
    0000:00:02.5 Class 0101: 1039:5513
    0000:00:02.6 Class 0703: 1039:7013 (rev a0)
    0000:00:02.7 Class 0401: 1039:7012 (rev a0)
    0000:00:03.0 Class 0c03: 1039:7001 (rev 0f)
    0000:00:03.1 Class 0c03: 1039:7001 (rev 0f)
    0000:00:03.2 Class 0c03: 1039:7001 (rev 0f)
    0000:00:03.3 Class 0c03: 1039:7002
    0000:00:04.0 Class 0200: 1039:0900 (rev 90)
    0000:00:0a.0 Class 0607: 104c:ac50 (rev 02)
    0000:01:00.0 Class 0300: 1039:6325
    0000:02:00.0 Class 0280: 104c:9066

    Then Craig says: "104c:9066 *this is an acx111 device, which I can't help you with yet. version 0.2.0pre8_plus_fixes_7 of the acx100 driver and later are now working! with these devices, see this acx111 thread in the forum for help"

    I just wanted you to know.....I am still giving fight!....
    Bye.


    Quote Originally Posted by sokminer
    FabianD

    Your card is using a TI ACX111 chipset. Google acx100 and go to the sourceforge page for the project (s/b #1 on the response list). After that then go to the link further down that has to do with houseofcraig.net and read that. I'm using an acx100 card (the older cousing 802.11b vs g) and have had pretty good success. One caution is that WEP doesn't work with this driver for the 111 chipset.

    Sokminer

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    18
    Fabiand

    You're getting there. Further down on the google page is something that will take you to andi at lisas dot de. Or something like that. This web page has the most up to date driver for the acx100/111. It is currently at ..._plus_fixes_24.tar.bz2 which was released yesterday. I will tell you that the driver is extremly kernel dependent i.e. must be compiled with the right kernel source in the right place.

    Hope this helps
    Bill

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    30
    Barbaro!!! Funcionó!!!

    Bill, I tell you how I did it, but first I give all data refering to my laptop, linux distro and wireless card:

    Its an Asus Laptop A2500H running Knoppix 3.4 installed on hard disk, debian 2.4.26.

    The wireless card is a DLink DWL-G650+ (with chipset acx111 of TI)

    I downloaded from http://lisas.de/~andi/acx100/ this package:
    acx100-0.2.0pre8_plus_fixes_24.tar.gz

    Then:
    # tar zxvf gunzip acx100-0.2.0pre8_plus_fixes_24.tar.gz
    # make fetch_firmware -There were problems with wget as my box had a proxy, so I did it through browsering and downloading into a subdirectory, then I commented the file fetch_firmware in this specific task-
    # make
    # make install

    modprobe acx_pci fails so:
    I created a subdirectory /usr/share/acx and copy the .BIN files there.
    Now the modprobe acx_pci started to work correctly.

    Finnally, I configured with start_net things like, channel, ip, mask, default gw, etc.

    Now I using it with some problems like:
    1. suddenly comes down!...I have to start it over with ./start_net and comes up again
    2. suddenly it freezes!...all leds are on....nothing happens...I have to stop with ./stop_net and restart it with ./start_net

    I hope I can help somebody else.....and thanks to the forum for helping me out!!!


    Saludos.
    Fabian.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    18
    Fabiand

    The driver is still somewhat flaky. I have had this happen as well. There are several possibilities. One is that more than one computer using the WiFi connection seems to cause these types of problems, especially a Win box. I don't know why. Another is a wireless telephone that uses the 2.4GHz band. They're rather unfriendly to WiFi or at least the one that I had was. There are some parameters (see iwpriv) that you can use to increase the signal strength but don't go too high or you'll burn out the card. Another thing is that apparently the 650+ is susceptable to overheating (it's buried in the ACX100 README).

    You may want to report this crash of the card to the development team on the Sourceforge forum for the acx100/111. There's a selection for the forum on the ACX100/111 home page. I've found the forum really helpful and the dev team really knowledgeable. BTW _plus_fixes_26 is out.

    One other thing that I noticed is that using the start_net script gave me the lockup problem. If I configure the card manually w/ iwconfig, ifconfig and pump my connection (currently up for a week) seems considerably more stable. It's an observation and I don't know how to go about analyzing why this happens.

    Glad to hear that it's working (sort of)

    Bill

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    30
    Bill, you may be right...
    To the access point there two boxes that send data, one is my laptop and the ohter one is a windows98 box and I dont have wireless phones here.

    I will report this as you say at acx111 and try the newer driver and see what happens.

    See you.
    Fabián.






    Quote Originally Posted by sokminer
    Fabiand

    The driver is still somewhat flaky. I have had this happen as well. There are several possibilities. One is that more than one computer using the WiFi connection seems to cause these types of problems, especially a Win box. I don't know why. Another is a wireless telephone that uses the 2.4GHz band. They're rather unfriendly to WiFi or at least the one that I had was. There are some parameters (see iwpriv) that you can use to increase the signal strength but don't go too high or you'll burn out the card. Another thing is that apparently the 650+ is susceptable to overheating (it's buried in the ACX100 README).

    You may want to report this crash of the card to the development team on the Sourceforge forum for the acx100/111. There's a selection for the forum on the ACX100/111 home page. I've found the forum really helpful and the dev team really knowledgeable. BTW _plus_fixes_26 is out.

    One other thing that I noticed is that using the start_net script gave me the lockup problem. If I configure the card manually w/ iwconfig, ifconfig and pump my connection (currently up for a week) seems considerably more stable. It's an observation and I don't know how to go about analyzing why this happens.

    Glad to hear that it's working (sort of)

    Bill

Similar Threads

  1. ABOUT TO GIVE UP!!!!!
    By knoppixtryer in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-18-2005, 01:12 AM
  2. I give up
    By lbenn in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-25-2005, 12:54 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 09:45 AM
  4. OK I Give up, I can't do it
    By Dr Snark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 11:51 PM
  5. Give it to me!
    By ksation in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-16-2003, 08:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.50



Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram picture

Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram

$960.00



Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6 picture

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6

$210.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Micron 64GB 4DRX4 PC4-2400T-LE2-11 MTA72ASS8G72LZ-2G3B2MG DDR4 Server RAM KD313 picture

Micron 64GB 4DRX4 PC4-2400T-LE2-11 MTA72ASS8G72LZ-2G3B2MG DDR4 Server RAM KD313

$249.98



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4 2133MHz ECC Registered Server RAM M393A4K40BB0-CPB0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4 2133MHz ECC Registered Server RAM M393A4K40BB0-CPB0Q

$144.95



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98