Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: using samba for remote A/V scan

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2

    using samba for remote A/V scan

    I have a laptop I'm trying to fix for a friend. I'm not really new to linux, but I am very new to Samba. Another friend of mine suggested that I use Samba to share the laptop and run the antivirus program from my desktop. I have tried the documentation at http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqSambaQuick but it didn't work. I need the computer running by Sunday morning, so any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Read my post here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...ighlight=samba
    You will get the idea how it will run. I would suggest you get Bitdefender live cd for that purpose since knoppix cd don't come with av.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2
    What I was planning on doing was sharing the whole hard drive with Knoppix, and then scanning it via a piece of cross-connect with my XP Pro machine. I'll give your suggestion in the other post a try, though, and put the result up here. Thanks! More suggestions are more than welcome!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Forget Samba. Just use Knoppix instead.

    Check it out: http://networking.earthweb.com/netse...0952_3389801_2

    Make sure you mount the drive using the Captive driver if it's an NTFS drive.

Similar Threads

  1. myconfig =scan home=scan
    By dk1ri in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 01:38 PM
  2. newbie - auto myconfig=scan home=scan
    By eentonig in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 10:57 AM
  3. editing /KNOPPIX/etc/samba/samba.conf as root ?!?!
    By smarchand291 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 11:41 PM
  4. Auto scan
    By phx in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 08:30 PM
  5. Myconfig=scan
    By DavidTempler in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 03:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



NETGEAR GS116PP 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch UNTESTED  picture

NETGEAR GS116PP 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch UNTESTED

$40.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99