The device is probably probed, and vfat identified as filesystem; try the '-o umask=000' option in your mount command. Or add the following entry in /etc/fstab: "/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat users,umask=000 0 0"
Hi!
I have a question which seems to me to be very simple to answer. I've spent the last hours looking in this forum, as well as kanotix.com, and linuxquestions.org- and I almost feel stupid for not having found any answer to it.
OK, I plug in a USB-devices (I'm using a SD-card & a USB-harddrive). Then, as root, I write
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
the drive gets mounted. Which I find surprising since it is not defined in fstab - it's nice, but I don't understand how it works (an explanation would be very much appreciated for the learning newbie![]()
The problem is that only root has access to the mounted drives. I don't know how to change this, especially since the device is not defined in fstab. Please help. Thanks in advance.
The device is probably probed, and vfat identified as filesystem; try the '-o umask=000' option in your mount command. Or add the following entry in /etc/fstab: "/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat users,umask=000 0 0"
many thanks!
Of all the answers I've gotten on this and similar issues across different forums, this is the one tha helped; umask=000!
I'm trying to figure out another thing now, namely how to get an icon pop up automatically on the desktop when a device is inserted. This should be possible as it happens when running from the liveCD. However, information on how to get a HD-install behave that way seems very hard to find. Any suggestions?
Thanks again![]()
As root in a console, run this:This is a knoppix specific package that isn't in Debian proper, but it will create the icons on your user(s) desktop except root based on what was entered in /etc/fstab. If /etc/fstab doesn't have an entry for all of your mountpoints, then it won't create any icons for what isn't in there.Code:mkdesktophdicons
HTH,
Durand

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00
Intel SRF90 Xeon Gold 6248 2.50GHz 20 Core LGA 3647 Server CPU Processor
$55.99
Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99
AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99
Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Processor LGA 1151
$39.99
LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00
INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG
$299.99