Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: only root-access to mounted drives

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5

    only root-access to mounted drives

    Hi!

    I have a question which seems to me to be very simple to answer. I've spent the last hours looking in this forum, as well as kanotix.com, and linuxquestions.org- and I almost feel stupid for not having found any answer to it.

    OK, I plug in a USB-devices (I'm using a SD-card & a USB-harddrive). Then, as root, I write

    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

    the drive gets mounted. Which I find surprising since it is not defined in fstab - it's nice, but I don't understand how it works (an explanation would be very much appreciated for the learning newbie

    The problem is that only root has access to the mounted drives. I don't know how to change this, especially since the device is not defined in fstab. Please help. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    The device is probably probed, and vfat identified as filesystem; try the '-o umask=000' option in your mount command. Or add the following entry in /etc/fstab: "/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat users,umask=000 0 0"

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5
    many thanks!

    Of all the answers I've gotten on this and similar issues across different forums, this is the one tha helped; umask=000!

    I'm trying to figure out another thing now, namely how to get an icon pop up automatically on the desktop when a device is inserted. This should be possible as it happens when running from the liveCD. However, information on how to get a HD-install behave that way seems very hard to find. Any suggestions?

    Thanks again

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    As root in a console, run this:
    Code:
    mkdesktophdicons
    This is a knoppix specific package that isn't in Debian proper, but it will create the icons on your user(s) desktop except root based on what was entered in /etc/fstab. If /etc/fstab doesn't have an entry for all of your mountpoints, then it won't create any icons for what isn't in there.

    HTH,

    Durand

Similar Threads

  1. user should umount root-mounted-drives
    By dipsy in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2005, 02:50 PM
  2. cfdisk partitions and knoppix mounted drives disagree?
    By randolphtaco in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 08:23 PM
  3. Knoppix not showing several mounted drives
    By chapium in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 03:42 PM
  4. Cant access drives
    By LukeGraham in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2003, 06:49 AM
  5. Permissions for mounted drives
    By allantm in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2003, 07:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW picture

Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW

$30.89



SAMSUNG 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T M393A4K40BB1-CRC0Q ECC REG Server Memory RAM picture

SAMSUNG 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T M393A4K40BB1-CRC0Q ECC REG Server Memory RAM

$250.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 FE 128GB, 12GB RAM, Silver *NEW -See Box* picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 FE 128GB, 12GB RAM, Silver *NEW -See Box*

$460.00



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem

$152.99



Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc picture

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc

$27.99



Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible picture

Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible

$39.00



Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2 picture

Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2

$89.00



Samsung CHG90 49

Samsung CHG90 49" Monitor Stand ONLY LC49HG90DMNXZA OEM w/ Screws NO MONITOR

$89.95



Samsung NP750XDA i7-1165G7, 2.80GHz, 16GB, No HD, No Adapter picture

Samsung NP750XDA i7-1165G7, 2.80GHz, 16GB, No HD, No Adapter

$249.99



Samsung 100

Samsung 100" Class FHD (1080P) LED Projector (SP-LFF3CLAXXZA)

$234.00