-
Junior Member
registered user
Knoppix is Debian??
Well, I have been very impressed with how easy it is to run Knoppix from the LiveCd and to get a hard disk installation running. And I see the claim that once installed, Knoppix is Debian. That implies that the Debian upgrades and software can be applied to a Knoppix installation.
I am a beginner so I don't know how practical it is to have an installation package that after installation becomes a different disrtibution. But it sure seems like a great way to get the best of two worlds, a very easy installation and a very large pool of applications and upgrades.
I would appreciate a discussion from those who know about such things.
Thanks, jimbo
-
I'll give it a shot to answer you. Knoppix is a live-cd based on Debian. Because Debian is the distro used to create Knoppix, once you install onto the harddrive you basically have a debian install. It's not exactly the same as a pure Debian install, but as you've found it's also easier to install with.
Yes, you can and should use Debian software on a Knoppix hd-install. As far as one distro becoming another...it's still technically Knoppix...it's just that Knoppix is a customized version of Debian.
-
Try saying that on irc #debian
A lot of debian users seem to want to keep it as an exclusive club. According to them if you install with knoppix you don't have debian.
If you admit to having used knoppix to install they will tell you to ask on #knoppix even if it is an apt-get or other debian specific issue!
-
If you admit to having used knoppix to install they will tell you to ask on #knoppix even if it is an apt-get or other debian specific issue!
Of course a lot of debian users will read/post here to get help with their questions. Myself included
-
Yeah, I've heard that about the debian folks. I imagine they've gotten tired of trying to help people with knoppix-specific problems. And I'm sure some are just being snobby. I've never felt the need to ask anything of the debian crowd myself (even now that I'm using debian). I can usually find the answer on here, and I like this forum and the people on it.
Similar Threads
-
By macherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 18
Last Post: 07-18-2004, 07:41 PM
-
By trivas7 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-27-2004, 12:21 AM
-
By datakid in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-07-2003, 07:46 AM
-
By nevixpain in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-23-2003, 08:41 PM
-
By freeman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-16-2003, 07:45 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE
$295.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99

IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19" Rack Enclosure No Keys
$549.95