Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix is Debian??

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    24

    Knoppix is Debian??

    Well, I have been very impressed with how easy it is to run Knoppix from the LiveCd and to get a hard disk installation running. And I see the claim that once installed, Knoppix is Debian. That implies that the Debian upgrades and software can be applied to a Knoppix installation.

    I am a beginner so I don't know how practical it is to have an installation package that after installation becomes a different disrtibution. But it sure seems like a great way to get the best of two worlds, a very easy installation and a very large pool of applications and upgrades.

    I would appreciate a discussion from those who know about such things.

    Thanks, jimbo

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    I'll give it a shot to answer you. Knoppix is a live-cd based on Debian. Because Debian is the distro used to create Knoppix, once you install onto the harddrive you basically have a debian install. It's not exactly the same as a pure Debian install, but as you've found it's also easier to install with.

    Yes, you can and should use Debian software on a Knoppix hd-install. As far as one distro becoming another...it's still technically Knoppix...it's just that Knoppix is a customized version of Debian.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Posts
    93
    Try saying that on irc #debian

    A lot of debian users seem to want to keep it as an exclusive club. According to them if you install with knoppix you don't have debian.

    If you admit to having used knoppix to install they will tell you to ask on #knoppix even if it is an apt-get or other debian specific issue!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    6
    If you admit to having used knoppix to install they will tell you to ask on #knoppix even if it is an apt-get or other debian specific issue!
    Of course a lot of debian users will read/post here to get help with their questions. Myself included

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Yeah, I've heard that about the debian folks. I imagine they've gotten tired of trying to help people with knoppix-specific problems. And I'm sure some are just being snobby. I've never felt the need to ask anything of the debian crowd myself (even now that I'm using debian). I can usually find the answer on here, and I like this forum and the people on it.

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix -> debian-like -> debian
    By macherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-18-2004, 07:41 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 12:21 AM
  3. HOWTO fix debian or knoppix/debian for Russian fonts
    By datakid in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 07:46 AM
  4. Knoppix <-> Debian
    By nevixpain in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 08:41 PM
  5. Knoppix to Debian How ?
    By freeman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 07:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MITS Altair Computer Notes January/February 1977  picture

MITS Altair Computer Notes January/February 1977

$100.00



MITS Altair Computer Notes June 1976 picture

MITS Altair Computer Notes June 1976

$90.00



MITS Altair Computer Notes July 1976 picture

MITS Altair Computer Notes July 1976

$100.00



Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$275.00



MITS Altair Computer Notes May 1976 picture

MITS Altair Computer Notes May 1976

$140.00



MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$225.00



MITS Altair Computer Notes December 1976 picture

MITS Altair Computer Notes December 1976

$80.00



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



Intel 4004 IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair picture

Intel 4004 IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair

$48.00