Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix is Debian??

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    24

    Knoppix is Debian??

    Well, I have been very impressed with how easy it is to run Knoppix from the LiveCd and to get a hard disk installation running. And I see the claim that once installed, Knoppix is Debian. That implies that the Debian upgrades and software can be applied to a Knoppix installation.

    I am a beginner so I don't know how practical it is to have an installation package that after installation becomes a different disrtibution. But it sure seems like a great way to get the best of two worlds, a very easy installation and a very large pool of applications and upgrades.

    I would appreciate a discussion from those who know about such things.

    Thanks, jimbo

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    I'll give it a shot to answer you. Knoppix is a live-cd based on Debian. Because Debian is the distro used to create Knoppix, once you install onto the harddrive you basically have a debian install. It's not exactly the same as a pure Debian install, but as you've found it's also easier to install with.

    Yes, you can and should use Debian software on a Knoppix hd-install. As far as one distro becoming another...it's still technically Knoppix...it's just that Knoppix is a customized version of Debian.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Posts
    93
    Try saying that on irc #debian

    A lot of debian users seem to want to keep it as an exclusive club. According to them if you install with knoppix you don't have debian.

    If you admit to having used knoppix to install they will tell you to ask on #knoppix even if it is an apt-get or other debian specific issue!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    6
    If you admit to having used knoppix to install they will tell you to ask on #knoppix even if it is an apt-get or other debian specific issue!
    Of course a lot of debian users will read/post here to get help with their questions. Myself included

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Yeah, I've heard that about the debian folks. I imagine they've gotten tired of trying to help people with knoppix-specific problems. And I'm sure some are just being snobby. I've never felt the need to ask anything of the debian crowd myself (even now that I'm using debian). I can usually find the answer on here, and I like this forum and the people on it.

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix -> debian-like -> debian
    By macherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-18-2004, 07:41 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 12:21 AM
  3. HOWTO fix debian or knoppix/debian for Russian fonts
    By datakid in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 07:46 AM
  4. Knoppix <-> Debian
    By nevixpain in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 08:41 PM
  5. Knoppix to Debian How ?
    By freeman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 07:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB) picture

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)

$164.95



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00



Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 RAM 3000MHz CMR16GX4M2C3000C16 picture

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 RAM 3000MHz CMR16GX4M2C3000C16

$70.99



Team Group T-Create Expert RAM 32gb (2 x 16gb) 6000 Mhz DDR5 Desktop Memory Modu picture

Team Group T-Create Expert RAM 32gb (2 x 16gb) 6000 Mhz DDR5 Desktop Memory Modu

$399.95



Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM picture

Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM

$37.99



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



SK Hynix 128GB (4 x 32GB) PC4-2400T DDR4 ECC Server Memory HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH picture

SK Hynix 128GB (4 x 32GB) PC4-2400T DDR4 ECC Server Memory HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH

$649.95



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99



P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N picture

P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N

$1100.00