-
Junior Member
registered user
Samba and MTU
Well, I have hard drive installations of Knoppix on two computers. Most everything seems to work well, but I need some help on two issues.
First, Samba won't start from the KDE menu item for starting Samba. And when I enter the command that the menu item uses from Konsole, it gives an error message that says something like, "This script can't be run from a regular installation." What does that message mean? Anyway, I have been able to start Samba from Konsole with command "/etc/init.d/samba start". But I am still curious about the failure of the KDE menu item.
Second, on one computer I am connected to a router that is connected to a dial-up modem for internet access. This setup works just fine on WinXP and on Win98. And I have one other computer connected to the router to form a small home network. I can log onto the router from Knoppix but when I try to connect to the Internet, it seems to "stall". I had this problem in Windows when the MTU setting was higher than my dial-up ISP allows. Can someone tell me where and how I can change this setting in Knoppix?
Thanks, jimbo
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
Sorry, forgot about the samba thing.
You can set samba to run automatically rather than manually at boot time by running this command once in konsole:
su
update-rc.d samba defaults
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks shah. Just what I need. How/where is there a reference to stuff like this? You don't have this stuff memorized, do you?
jimbo
-
Senior Member
registered user
GOOGLING
Similar Threads
-
By ghostblaze in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-04-2004, 03:14 AM
-
By smarchand291 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-08-2003, 11:41 PM
-
By juan_sck in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-17-2003, 01:36 PM
-
By Tovi in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-21-2003, 08:42 AM
-
By Prototask in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-21-2003, 10:26 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

Full Version MS Office Professional Plus 2021 - 64-Bit Flash USB Drive Install
$59.99

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.27

New Samsung FIT Plus 64GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive MUF-64AB/AM
$34.95

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives
$49.99