Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Samba and MTU

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    24

    Samba and MTU

    Well, I have hard drive installations of Knoppix on two computers. Most everything seems to work well, but I need some help on two issues.

    First, Samba won't start from the KDE menu item for starting Samba. And when I enter the command that the menu item uses from Konsole, it gives an error message that says something like, "This script can't be run from a regular installation." What does that message mean? Anyway, I have been able to start Samba from Konsole with command "/etc/init.d/samba start". But I am still curious about the failure of the KDE menu item.

    Second, on one computer I am connected to a router that is connected to a dial-up modem for internet access. This setup works just fine on WinXP and on Win98. And I have one other computer connected to the router to form a small home network. I can log onto the router from Knoppix but when I try to connect to the Internet, it seems to "stall". I had this problem in Windows when the MTU setting was higher than my dial-up ISP allows. Can someone tell me where and how I can change this setting in Knoppix?

    Thanks, jimbo

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    "This script can't be run from a regular installation." What does that message mean?
    Above was meant to run from CD. No need to panic.

    Two things two check if your browser stall :
    1) Your nameserver given by your I.S.P , check in /etc/resolv.conf. Is it there. If no, just add.
    2) Your mtu. You can set your mtu in /etc/network/interfaces:
    Just add your mtu value at the bottom. EX:
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.12.28
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast 192.168.12.255
    gateway 192.168.12.1
    mtu 1472

    Good luck

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Sorry, forgot about the samba thing.
    You can set samba to run automatically rather than manually at boot time by running this command once in konsole:
    su
    update-rc.d samba defaults


  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    24
    Thanks shah. Just what I need. How/where is there a reference to stuff like this? You don't have this stuff memorized, do you?

    jimbo

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    GOOGLING

Similar Threads

  1. samba is gay
    By ghostblaze in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-04-2004, 03:14 AM
  2. editing /KNOPPIX/etc/samba/samba.conf as root ?!?!
    By smarchand291 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 11:41 PM
  3. how to use samba?
    By juan_sck in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 01:36 PM
  4. Samba?
    By Tovi in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 08:42 AM
  5. Samba help
    By Prototask in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2003, 10:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2x SAMSUNG 32GB DDR4  2RX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY M393A4K40CB2-CVFC0 64GB TOTAL picture

2x SAMSUNG 32GB DDR4 2RX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY M393A4K40CB2-CVFC0 64GB TOTAL

$300.00



Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1B1 16GB DDR4 2RX4 PC4-2133P-RBB-11 Server Memory RAM picture

Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1B1 16GB DDR4 2RX4 PC4-2133P-RBB-11 Server Memory RAM

$70.00



HPE 64gb PC4-2933Y 4DRx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Server Memory P03054-091 P06190-001 picture

HPE 64gb PC4-2933Y 4DRx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Server Memory P03054-091 P06190-001

$399.99



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack picture

Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack

$175.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



32GB Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1RK PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory picture

32GB Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1RK PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory

$118.00



SK Hynix 16GB HMA42GL7MFR4N-TF 2Rx4 PC4-2133P ECC REG Server Memory RAM picture

SK Hynix 16GB HMA42GL7MFR4N-TF 2Rx4 PC4-2133P ECC REG Server Memory RAM

$120.00



RDIMM MICRON  DDR5 SERVER MEMORY 1x16 Sticks  5600 RAM picture

RDIMM MICRON DDR5 SERVER MEMORY 1x16 Sticks 5600 RAM

$449.00