-
Junior Member
registered user
How do you start a dsl modem after knoppix is up?
Sometimes, after a storm goes by, the wife starts up Knoppix before I plug the dsl modem back in. She and I would like to know how to tell Knoppix to access the internet again without shutting down her computer and restarting. I think it should be fairly simple. Newbie linux user, so need fairly complete steps, assume no knowledge of CLI, even tho I know a tiny bit.
This is on a system running off cdrom (hers, actually both), she wont run off installed linux...silly woman!!
The modem is an actiontec from Qworst...er...Qwest's dsl.
She 'latched' onto knoppix and wont let go! If we owned a gun and Billy Bob walked by, well he might have to run 'faster than a speeding bullet' if she had ahold of it!!! Hehehe.
TIA
-
Senior Member
registered user
poff, to stop the running pppd, and pon to start it again.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I wasn't asking about dialup connection, but a dsl connection. Pon/off is for dialup. At least when I 'duplicate' her problem, and tell it poff then pon, I get err messages about no pppd active or something like that and anyway, dsl doesn't use the pppd,. It uses dhcpd...if I am correct.
Thanks anyway.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well - I have a dsl-modem, and after switching the power on, I have to dial in.
When no pppd is active, poff can be omited.
My dsl uses pppd.
Perhaps you need only pump for dhcp?
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Junior Member
registered user
All I needed was to su to root and pump. Thanks guys. The dsl is 'active' on powering it on. Just needed to get the wife's computer to connect. She hates to shutdown and restart..even tho it is simple to do.
If I shutdown the dsl after she is connected, as soon as the dsl negociates a connection we are connected. It is only when knoppix is started without the power and connection made that the system doesn't talk to the modem. PUMP gets that 'bridge' connected from the box to the modem.
Thx again.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well - she's right in not to like to shutdown and restart, because that reminds of another system 
I didn't know that the other machine made the dialup (or the modem is dialing-up by itself). But for now we can all be happy - pon, poff, pump, and pppstatus perhaps, instead of plog.
shah: will show the connection-status on tty10.
Similar Threads
-
By lynnwgnr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 28
Last Post: 09-19-2005, 07:02 PM
-
By Barton71 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-05-2005, 06:03 PM
-
By banevere in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-22-2004, 08:31 AM
-
By Login_Here in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-19-2004, 05:24 AM
-
By mundhra_ritesh in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.50

LOT OF 3 Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory
$255.00

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

Lot of 8 SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P ECC RAM HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF
$449.99

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$289.80