-
Knoppix v3.4 Boots to Grey Screen & black crosshair HELP
I'm using an HP/Compaq nx9008 laptop. With nothing connected, I boot the laptop w/ knoppix v3.4 & the last line says "starting xserver ??? something ???, Retry xfree86 ??? something ???, Unable to load xserver ". Now when I boot w/ knoppix v0.1 (the original or 1st release of knoppix, I think), I have no problems... Note: I have tried my copy of knoppix v3.4 on 3 PC's w/ no problems.. Only on my LapTop for some reason... So after the Error I get an All Grey Screen and a Black Crosshair acting as my mouse. Any ideas??? tia
-
Sounds like your xserver is having trouble starting. What type of video hardware do you have?
Have you tried booting with the cheatcode:
Code:
knoppix xmodule=vesa
-
I'm using a Radeon IGP 345M graphics card. I think intergrated. And I've tried using your cheat and still notta. I think I used it right. I typed right before the boot at the propmt that says enter to begin or something like that. But this time, I was able to see the Error message... "Error: No suitable x-server found for your card"... ???
-

Originally Posted by
NoDice
I'm using a Radeon IGP 345M graphics card. I think intergrated. And I've tried using your cheat and still notta. I think I used it right. I typed right before the boot at the propmt that says enter to begin or something like that. But this time, I was able to see the Error message... "Error: No suitable x-server found for your card"... ???

Here's a bunch of cheat codes you can mix and match:
knoppix xmodule=ati noapic noapm
knoppix xmodule=radeon noapic noapm
knoppix xserver=XFree86
knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA
knoppix26
if all else fails, you can try this:
knoppix failsafe
If you want more cheat codes, look at http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes
-
Worked Thanks!
Hello & Thanks a Billion! The cmd "knoppix xmodule=ati noapic noapm" worked but what does this mean? I'm going to google these cmds for a while and read what I find. Thanks again... Dave
-
Yeah, I'm having a similar difficulty loading the xserver on another laptop in the same range: the Compaq nx9005. Tried the cheatcodes recommended in this thread and a few different combinations, but to no avail... the knoppix CD works fine on other machines... anyone know any other cheatcodes or things I could try?
-
FWIW, I got there in the end: knoppix acpi=off worked for me...
-
Re: Worked Thanks!

Originally Posted by
NoDice
Hello & Thanks a Billion! The cmd "knoppix xmodule=ati noapic noapm" worked but what does this mean? I'm going to google these cmds for a while and read what I find. Thanks again... Dave
This is a great site for Acronyms
http://www.acronymfinder.com/
Similar Threads
-
By Josh83 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-03-2005, 05:19 PM
-
By feffer777 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-18-2005, 07:40 AM
-
By mikeym9477 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-08-2004, 04:59 AM
-
By HouseOfPancakes in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 10-01-2003, 01:30 AM
-
By Jmack0013 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-18-2003, 04:57 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99

Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard
$169.99

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99

**77%-89% HEALTH**HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
$69.99

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy
$35.00

HGST Ultrastar 2TB 3.5" Enterprise SATA 7200RPM Internal HDD HUS724020ALA640
$54.99