Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Knoppix v3.4 Boots to Grey Screen & black crosshair HELP

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6

    Knoppix v3.4 Boots to Grey Screen & black crosshair HELP

    I'm using an HP/Compaq nx9008 laptop. With nothing connected, I boot the laptop w/ knoppix v3.4 & the last line says "starting xserver ??? something ???, Retry xfree86 ??? something ???, Unable to load xserver ". Now when I boot w/ knoppix v0.1 (the original or 1st release of knoppix, I think), I have no problems... Note: I have tried my copy of knoppix v3.4 on 3 PC's w/ no problems.. Only on my LapTop for some reason... So after the Error I get an All Grey Screen and a Black Crosshair acting as my mouse. Any ideas??? tia

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    Sounds like your xserver is having trouble starting. What type of video hardware do you have?
    Have you tried booting with the cheatcode:
    Code:
    knoppix xmodule=vesa

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6
    I'm using a Radeon IGP 345M graphics card. I think intergrated. And I've tried using your cheat and still notta. I think I used it right. I typed right before the boot at the propmt that says enter to begin or something like that. But this time, I was able to see the Error message... "Error: No suitable x-server found for your card"... ???

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by NoDice
    I'm using a Radeon IGP 345M graphics card. I think intergrated. And I've tried using your cheat and still notta. I think I used it right. I typed right before the boot at the propmt that says enter to begin or something like that. But this time, I was able to see the Error message... "Error: No suitable x-server found for your card"... ???
    Here's a bunch of cheat codes you can mix and match:
    knoppix xmodule=ati noapic noapm
    knoppix xmodule=radeon noapic noapm
    knoppix xserver=XFree86
    knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA
    knoppix26

    if all else fails, you can try this:
    knoppix failsafe

    If you want more cheat codes, look at http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6

    Worked Thanks!

    Hello & Thanks a Billion! The cmd "knoppix xmodule=ati noapic noapm" worked but what does this mean? I'm going to google these cmds for a while and read what I find. Thanks again... Dave

  6. #6
    Yeah, I'm having a similar difficulty loading the xserver on another laptop in the same range: the Compaq nx9005. Tried the cheatcodes recommended in this thread and a few different combinations, but to no avail... the knoppix CD works fine on other machines... anyone know any other cheatcodes or things I could try?

  7. #7
    FWIW, I got there in the end: knoppix acpi=off worked for me...


  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3

    Re: Worked Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by NoDice
    Hello & Thanks a Billion! The cmd "knoppix xmodule=ati noapic noapm" worked but what does this mean? I'm going to google these cmds for a while and read what I find. Thanks again... Dave
    This is a great site for Acronyms

    http://www.acronymfinder.com/

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.3: When booting the screen remains black...
    By Josh83 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 05:19 PM
  2. Black screen after using Knoppix
    By feffer777 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 07:40 AM
  3. Black screen??
    By mikeym9477 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-08-2004, 04:59 AM
  4. screen goes black... help
    By HouseOfPancakes in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 01:30 AM
  5. Black Screen after boot screen
    By Jmack0013 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2003, 04:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Hitachi HUS726060ALA640 6TB 7.2K SATA 3.5 6G HDD Hard Disc Drive picture

Hitachi HUS726060ALA640 6TB 7.2K SATA 3.5 6G HDD Hard Disc Drive

$109.99



Western Digital Purple 1TB 3.5

Western Digital Purple 1TB 3.5" SATA Internal Surveillance Hard Drive (WD10PURX)

$49.99



Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5

Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard

$169.99



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408

$354.99