May be too obvious, but make sure you click on the kmix icon in the bottom right and turn on sound (second button from left). It defaults to off at each boot.
I am using knoppix 3.4 live cd, using cheatcodes "knoppix26 lang=us alsa" and sound works.
XMMS works playing .wav files.
I installed 3.4 to my hd and sound does'nt work.
Being new to this list, prehaps this has been answered. Any help would be appreciated.
jozien
May be too obvious, but make sure you click on the kmix icon in the bottom right and turn on sound (second button from left). It defaults to off at each boot.
Kmix, as already said, and open aumix from multimedia>sound. They both have an influence on sound production.
What type of HD install? What sound doesn't work? Are you having trouble with xmms? Or not getting the beeps when windows open & close?
You may need xmms-arts plugin. Even though you are use alsa, KDE will start the arts daemon when it wants to & artsd interferens with xmms.
The girls voicest startup sound (/usr/share/sounds/startup.ogg) isn't activated in HD install except Knoppix type install. but it makes a good test sample sound.
To get system sounds you have to active sounds in KDE control Center then edit the hidden file /home/knoppix/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc to be all three entries=true.
I re-installed knoppix 3.4 to the hd and now I have sound. Don't know what I did different.
I also use the 2.4 kernel
jozien

Lot 4 Samsung 64gb PC4-25600 2Rx4 DDR4-3200AA ECC RDIMM Reg Server Memory RAM
$3199.00
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98
Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC
$370.00
SK Hynix 8GB 1RX4 PC4-2133P-RC0-10 Registered Server RAM HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF TD AB
$34.99
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
32GB 2Rx8 PC4 - 3200AA - SE1-13 (x2) 64GB - Laptop Memory
$260.00
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz Memory DIMM Tested Excellent Condition
$155.00