Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: the Good, the Bad and the downright Ugly

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276

    the Good, the Bad and the downright Ugly

    Cuddles, Good News! I got the i2c drivers working and therefore lm-sensors in Kanotix BH7a. The bad news, it took a total reinstall first after I messed with it so bad yesterday. The ugly: I am not all that sure how I did it. Hmmm, add scary: will my motherboard burst into flame

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    nishtya,

    I am not sure on this, so don't blame me if it does, but, I don't think your motherboard is going to burst into flames -=- I have heard of it, but that was only upon reading something in controlling the RPM's of your fans - somewhere, I read that you can test your fans for speed control, I think it was in trying to research the i2c issue - it stated it was going to attempt to stop all fans on the system, wait about 5 seconds, and then start each one in turn - and then had a BIG WARNING, that stated that you should manually check to ensure that the fans have actually restarted... I aborted the program at that point - I don't want the fan on my CPU not to work... I had read that in the first attempts of getting a processor above the gigahertz speed, that they didn't have proper cooling, and yes, the chip heated up enough to "flame up", torched the complete system, or so I heard.... That CPU fan is mighty important now-a-days....

    As for i2c and lmsensors, mine was "pretty much" easy - i2c and lm_sensors documentation all stated that you don't want, need, or should NEVER install i2c and the lm_sensors code into a kernel 2.5 or higher -=- So, my guess is, we both figured out how to get the "internal" i2c code running, and then trying to get lm_sensors to "link" to it... Maybe you should watch, and confirm, that the "monitors" are correct -=- I've been staring at my temps whenever I get a chance, and still need to "confirm" the temps are right with my BIOS... I also want to get the "red-line" alarms that are set in my BIOS, into GKrellm - which I can get, and confirm the next time I boot...

    I really DO like having my CPU and CASE temps, and CPU fan RPM's on a display again - for a while I was getting worried not being able to see them as I did in v3.3 -=- I was starting to wonder if I was "scortching" my CPU all this time...

    As for your re-install -=- you were considering having to do that anyway, with all the tinkering you did with the modem issue... I was lucky, modem was easy, installs were easy, and getting everything I had installed in v3.3 into v3.4 wasn't that hard, my biggest hurdle was the i2c, after the NVidia kernel compile, and I didn't want to "tempt fate" by doing another compile just to get i2c running... I was lucky, I think it was compiled in, just needed to get "activated", thats all...

    So, now that you have things running, what are you going to do with all that time you have now, and what are you going to do for any excitement???? ( you being the only one I know to have done as many kernel compiles, and still lived to tell about it ) [giggle]

    Ms. Cuddles

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    Hiya Cuddles, oh sister linuxer of mine well, you know I was so close to a kernel recompile, weren't you? LOL anyhow, I don't know what did it for sure because after the desperation of the reinstall (btw, that was AFTER the reinstall over the tty0 issue) I figured, oh well, What the Hell? I just stuck i2c_sensor in on the modules configure file, then dug up the lmsensors detect tucked away in bin, then I removed the i2c_sensor and geez, everything worked. I have no idea why. I don't care

    But it was a little hairier than I care for these days. Nobody has heard from me because I was just running my BH4 and didn't have any probs except for KDE upgrades (gee, no s u r p r i s e there )

    But you know, no doubt about it, upgrading a debian system takes years off your life. I will swear to that, rilly I will I still have all my kernel compiling notes sitting next to my computer - no, they were covered in plastic and spared the coffee flood of 2004. But I rather not look at them again

Similar Threads

  1. Why is Knoppix so goddamn ugly.
    By JacksonBrown in forum Ideas
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-17-2005, 07:19 PM
  2. ugly kdm wallpaper
    By maxIT in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 07:54 AM
  3. Is Knoppix ugly?
    By UnderScore in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-04-2005, 02:02 PM
  4. Remove that ugly cursor
    By pap2003 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-28-2005, 09:31 AM
  5. floppyconfig fails to restore (at least really ugly)
    By BillS in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 04:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19

IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19" Rack Enclosure No Keys

$549.95



IBM 00FN709 X3850 X6 Compute Book 3837 Barebone picture

IBM 00FN709 X3850 X6 Compute Book 3837 Barebone

$114.99