-
Keyboard German QWERTZ in system terminals,Want US QWERTY
I've found a couple of threads discussing this problem, but mine is slightly different. I chose the first of the three install options (beginner?) and it's mostly working very well. I had to change the keyboard and language for KDE and Mozilla. They're fine now.
But when I use a system terminal (ctrl-alt F1, for example), the keyboard is German. The other discussions I've read had several suggestions, and I think i've tried them all. I was sure that editing /etc/sysconfig/i18n would do the trick. Unfortunately, every time I boot, this gets changed back to the de_DE... stuff. When I tryto reconfigure locales, I get this:
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = "de",
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "de_DE@euro"
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
Generating locales...
en_US.ISO-8859-1... done
Trying to purge locales gives much the same.
I suspect that the difference in whether a particular "fix" works depends on which type of install was done. I hope someone has a fix or workaround for this.
Patrick
-
Senior Member
registered user
Try edit /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig. There is a setting for default lang in it. I'm not sure if beginner install uses this autoconfig or not; if not, somebody please post what it does use.
PS: I'm assuming you have lang=en or lang=us added as a bootcode in lilo.conf. bootcodes are in the 'append=' line but check also the rest of the file, sometimes if you repeat them in the append line it will generate an error.
-

Originally Posted by
CrashedAgain
Try edit /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig. There is a setting for default lang in it. I'm not sure if beginner install uses this autoconfig or not; if not, somebody please post what it does use.
PS: I'm assuming you have lang=en or lang=us added as a bootcode in lilo.conf. bootcodes are in the 'append=' line but check also the rest of the file, sometimes if you repeat them in the append line it will generate an error.
Thanks, CrashedAgain
In knoppix-autoconfig in the first (non-comment) line after ### localization I changed LANGUAGE="de" to LANGUAGE="en" and now have the correct keyboard after rebooting.
I'm using GRUB instead of lilo, and haven't yet researched entering command lines for the boot process. So much to learn!
Similar Threads
-
By chaosnine in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-03-2017, 08:53 PM
-
By Josh83 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-04-2005, 01:00 PM
-
By majo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-31-2005, 01:32 PM
-
By CSY in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-10-2004, 08:10 PM
-
By GREGC in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-08-2003, 06:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99

Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU
$319.99

Intel Xeon E5-2699 v3 18 Core 2.3 GHz 45MB SR1XD LGA 2011-3 B Grade
$15.95

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00