-
Senior Member
registered user
Knoppix v3.4 kernel 2.6.6 - files get overwritten ?
First, the background:
Knoppix v3.4, with kernel 2.6.6 - which was re-compiled from source to include NVidia video drivers...
Hard drive installed, using knoppix-installer, Debian Style...
After finally getting i2c and lmsensors working, I added the required additions to /etc/modutils for the alias line, and then went to putting the two required "modprobe" lines into /etc/modules file...
After rebooting, I did a lsmod, and was surprised to find my i2c-isa and via686a not in the listing... So, I manually did the modprobe lines again, did a lsmod, and found them in the list...
This is the strange thing, I went into /etc/modules to make sure I entered my two modprobed modules lines correctly, and found that they WEREN'T there... So, I put them back in the file, saved it, exited the editor, and even did a "cat" on the file to ensure the changes were "actually" made to the file, which they were - and then did another reboot...
It appears that since v3.4 of Knoppix has the two kernel version, something is "copying" configuration files to the disk during boot - and the /etc/modules file is one of those... Because after I rebooted again, again, the /etc/modules file was replaced with a version that did not have my changes in them...
I only boot the kernel 2.6, and I don't think I will ever boot the 2.4 kernel - how can I release Knoppix from always overwritting my config files when I boot??? ( this is getting nerve-racking ) - sometimes you need to change some config files to get devices, or in this case, a feature of the motherboard, working, and you can't if the durn OS keeps copying an outdated file on top of the updated one....
Thanks for any assistance,
Ms. Cuddles
Similar Threads
-
By paradigm_shift in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-17-2005, 11:22 AM
-
By mjm in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-07-2005, 11:14 PM
-
By cmidkiff in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-13-2004, 03:15 PM
-
By dping28 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-04-2004, 05:10 PM
-
By Nigel_Tufnel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-20-2003, 01:09 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B
$299.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$489.96