Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How to stop KDE from starting at boot time?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    46

    How to stop KDE from starting at boot time?

    With the HD install done, I don't want KDE (or any other window manager) to start at boot time.
    I just want the console. Or rather the virtual terminals at boot time.

    I want to start KDE only when I need it.

    How can this be done?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Welcome!
    That's right!
    That's linux!

    And here's the howto:
    edit /etc/inittab
    change
    Code:
    id:5:initdefault:
    to
    Code:
    id:3:initdefault:
    (close to the top).

    The inittab controls the very first processes, run by the system.
    By convention, runlevel 3 is for multiuser + networking, and runlevel 5 for X11.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    46
    Besides KDE, will this stop anything else from running?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    No.
    Look at my post close to this http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12672 (how to make sshd start on boot).

    If you look at the differences between rc3.d and rc5.d, you will know exactly what will not start in runlevel 3.
    A correctly done installation will only start (additional to rc3.d) X11-related stuff in rc5.d.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    I think you can type "knoppix 2" (without quotes) at the boot prompt to get run level 2, which, as I understand it, will keep you in the console.

    jd

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    That's right - it will put you to runlevel 2, which is probably not intended, since it lacks networking.
    For networking, you use 3.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    46
    With the hard disk installation, I do not see the boot: prompt anymore.
    At the beginning, all I see is the Debian logo with 3 options:
    Linux
    Linux(2.4)-1
    Linux(2.6-2


    And the "Linux" option is the default.
    How do I get to the boot: prompt?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    My apologies. I compeletly missed that this was the Hdd install forum.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    I use a text-menu, where I see
    Code:
    linux-2.6.7
    linux-2.4
    When I move the curser, the corresponding entry is shown below the menu too.
    After choosing the 2.6.7 (which is default although) I simply hit the '3' key, which makes the below-the-menu-entry

    linux-2.6.7 3


    I don't use a graphic boot-screen, but would expect the same functionality in a similar way there.

    If you don't have them, you may switch to a textmenu-lilo, or make two alternative boot-options with lilo.
    Code:
    linux-2.6.7-X11
    linux-2.6.7-console
    linux-2.4
    and use append="3" for console, append="5" for the -X11 - entry.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    46
    Thank you. Appreciate it.

    append="3" for console
    append="5" for the -X11

    Did the job.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 11:06 PM
  2. How can I stop screen from rolling after boot?
    By rfarmer in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 01:22 AM
  3. pppoeconf at boot time
    By oscar in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 12:55 AM
  4. screenshots of boot-time
    By SillyFly in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 11:20 PM
  5. eth0 at boot time?
    By FelixDzerzhinsky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-27-2002, 02:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s

$59.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59