-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
user unknown
I don't know NAT - perhaps it's the point.
My question is: I have a /etc/host:
192.168.4.2 desktop
192.168.4.3 laptop
To make a filetransfer, I start ftpd on the desktop, and
ftp desktop
on the laptop.
When I use dhcp (and NAT?) the laptop will find the desktop too?
How?
Thanks for the reply Unknown.
..You seem to be talking about LAN-side DNS name resolution (resolving the name 'desktop' to an IP address) using the static hosts mechanism.. this is bit off-topic re: my LAN-side DHCP client issue with Knoppix.
My N.A.T (In-fact should've been P.A.T!) is a side-issue and not related to DHCP within the LAN - it is not affecting the clients ability to obtain an IP address.
PM me and I'll discuss, but I think we should leave this thread in the direction of working out why DHCP is not working in Knoppix (with my config/instance) when it works on the same machine when booting into Windows..
noapic
Also, I tried putting the 'noapic' option into my lilo.conf - no joy unfortunately ;(
Syslog [tail]
I ran syslog whilst running after killing any pump instances in memory, and this is the common output:
Aug 17 22:38:49 Knoppix pumpd[811]: PUMP: sending discover
Aug 17 22:38:49 Knoppix pumpd[811]: reject: xid: 0x41332561 <--> 0x536b10f1
Aug 17 22:38:49 Knoppix pumpd[1054]: starting at (uptime 0 days, 0:07:22) Tue Aug 17 22:38:49 2004 (I restarted eth0 here as it keeps going down)
Aug 17 22:38:49 Knoppix pumpd[1054]: PUMP: sending discover
Aug 17 22:38:49 Knoppix pumpd[1054]: reject: xid: 0x37254133 <--> 0x536b1048
Thanks again everyone who has and may contribute to this thread
Similar Threads
-
By dundas in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-06-2010, 11:46 AM
-
By frenco in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-29-2005, 08:58 AM
-
By k225yt in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-25-2005, 12:56 PM
-
By ForbiddenSword in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 07-31-2004, 05:26 AM
-
By master_b in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-14-2004, 04:31 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.72