Thats not something you have to worry about on linux for the most part, viruses are almost nonexistant, spyware is made for windows machines, now if your looking to scan a windows hardrive for such, then I can't help you.
What are some of the programs that we can use to check for viruses and spyware on knoppix? I've got a 3.3 hdd installation.
Thats not something you have to worry about on linux for the most part, viruses are almost nonexistant, spyware is made for windows machines, now if your looking to scan a windows hardrive for such, then I can't help you.
THere is a spyware/trojan for Linux and exist in a form of 'Root kits". And the only application I can found to eliminate this kind of attack is using 'chkrootkit'. You can read more from : http://www.chkrootkit.org/
You can download the program using apt-get install chkrootkit.
For antivirus, there is plenty out there. I use two antivirus in my system:
1) Clamav (it has daemon that runs in background)
2) F-prot (for scanning purposes only)
Why I use two antivirus? Because F-prot has gui (xfprot) but don't scan in background. ClamAV also has gui (klamav-still in alpha stage), but I seem cannot compile it. The only gui I manage to install is klamaktion which integrates into kde (but i don't consider this as a real gui rather than a script).
You can apt for clamav and f-prot. You may also want to apt for clamav-freshclam (clamav updater) and clamav-daemon.
![]()
![]()
![]()
Chkrootkit might give you false positives on LKM trojan with 2.6.x kernel. BTW, doesn't Knoppix come with chkrootkit installed?
I prefer rkhunter which you can install with:
Code:wget -c http://downloads.rootkit.nl/rkhunter-1.1.5.tar.gz tar -xvzf rkhunter-1.1.5.tar.gz cd rkhunter ./installer.sh
Markus
You're right. Chrootkit indeed gives a false positive on LKM trojan.
This is true if you are using the liveCD, not a hdinstall, since you're running a ro fs!Originally Posted by firebyrd10
Regards,
AJG
Just to ring in, if you have a Windows install, I find the following to be excellent "free-ware"...
Spy-ware:
Spybot - Search and Destroy
--- Works great to rip out those ad-ware and spy-ware junk - it also can search in your registry for links to stuff too... ( those Internet Explorer Menu-Bars are excellent removals with this )
Anti-Virus:
AVast - you can get the "trial" version, and it does almost everything, even though it starts yelling about buying it - to get even more functionality - it still runs good, has Internet, mail, background scanning, and a scheduler - and all free-ware...
Before I "moved" to Linux, had these two in my arsenal - still do, on my backup "old" system, running Win98...
Ms. Cuddles

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)
$310.00
New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00
RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99
Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00
Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99
Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$119.99
Samsung Chromebook 4 11.6" HD, N4000, 6GB, 64GB EMMC, Platinum Titan
$165.00
64 GB Ram (32x2) Memory for laptop: Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.
$280.00