Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
Just to clarify, it sounds like you're booting FreeDOS and running LOADLIN off a boot floppy, and it sounds like /dev/hda5 (aka your D: drive under Windows) is not formatted as NTFS, but is FAT32, correct?
correct, except I run loadlin from a FAT partition with FreeDOS, I don't use a floppy at all.

That big ~700MB file on the Knoppix CD called KNOPPIX - the one in the /KNOPPIX directory - has to be saved on your hard disk partition just like it is on the CD in order to to use the "fromhd" command. In other words, make a /KNOPPIX directory, and then put the ~700MB KNOPPIX file in it. So that /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX is the big KNOPPIX file in a directory named KNOPPIX. Then you can use the "fromhd=/dev/hda5" command (assumming it's on /dev/hda5, of course).
Ok that's what i did wrong: I had this: D:\Knoppix\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX. Now I have a seperate partition with only the Knoppix 'cdrom', (M:, /dev/hda and the big KNOPPIX file in M:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX.

With these options: vmlinuz fromhd=/dev/hda8 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=nl vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi screen=1280x1024 home=scan myconfig=scan nomce, I get the same error message as before. Quite strange I still tries to find Knoppix in /dev/hda5...
Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM at /dev/hda5...cat: No file /KNOPPIX/etc/ld.so.cache.
Setting paths...run: not found
awk: not found
awk: not found
Total memory found: kB
expr: not found
expr: not found
mkdir: not found
Creating directories and symlinks on ramdisk...mkdir: not found
chown: not found
/linuxrc: cannot create /var/run/utmp: directory nonexistent
FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:01