Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: default config scans on startup

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305
    Ask and ye shall receive....

    The isolinux.conf file is derived from the boot directory of the .iso . Edit: I copied my LiveCD into a file called CD(x) in archlinux desktop: the file is 680+ MB and is edited to make the changes in isolinux.conf.

    Open the isolinux.conf file in an editor.

    You will find many listings of boot possibilities arranged in groups, LABEL....KERNEL...APPEND.

    Each grouping defines a boot set-up.

    The APPEND permits the addition of cheat codes in the desired kernel, probably 2.6 in your case.

    The first listing is a default, usually a 2.4 kernel is default. This entry can be changed to a single character i.e, ....."\" .

    Then mosey down to the LABEL , KERNEL , and APPEND for the 2.6 kernel.

    Change the LABEL to the character you selected.

    Enter the cheat codes one after the other at the tail end of the APPEND statement.

    Check your spelling and verify similarity to the other listings as to spacing and syntax.

    Save the modified isolinux.conf file and quit the editor.

    You should now have a new .iso file ready for mkisofs.

    Mkisofs for Kernel 2.6 follows;

    The spacing is important..the symbol * in the listing signifies a "space" and is not part of the command...

    mkisofs*-pad*-l*-r*-J*-v*-V*"KNOPPIX"*-no-emul-boot*-boot-load-size*4*-boot-info-table*-b*boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin*-c*boot/isolinux/boot.cat*-hide-rr-moved*-o*/root/knoppix.iso*/root/CD(x)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The reference to knoppix.iso must be your .iso and the /root/CD(X) your file to place the new .iso to be burned.

    You may wish to keep a copy of the original .iso before beginning the modification.

    Mkisofs will produce the .iso at good speed in a 1500mhz computer. I burn my .iso files in k3b but nero is usable as well.

    Best of luck!! I hope I have given you enough detail to complete the mod.

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    26
    Thanks. I'll try that as soon as I get the opportunity. Those instructions are clear enough.

    One of my web pages was very popular recently - a couple of places blogged it. But my media coding failed on Linux systems, because it called for software available only on Windows and Mac. It didn't have to fail on Linux, as I now know, and I re-coded the page.

    I tried Linux (Mandrake) about a year and half ago, but since it was not self-configuring, I was baffled. I couldn't even get on the Internet. Worse, it was hard to remove, since I don't really need a Lilo-type double boot. But Knoppix really does the job.

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    26
    Follow-up: I did the edits, as suggested above, and it worked! Now, I can go grab a coffee when switching from Windows to Knoppix (in 5 minutes, as advertised), and when I return, the desktop is just the way I like it Thanks!

    What I actually did was (1) Split the original, unburned ISO into 50Mb parts. (2) Edited the first part, which has the necessary boot info, in a hex editor. I also lowered the timeout to 30 (didn't have the courage to try 0 or omit the timeout). The number of hashes was adjusted to keep the file size the same (necessary for glueing the parts pack together). (3) Re-assembled the parts, then burned the edited ISO using Alex Feinman's ISO Recorder.

    All of the above was one entirely within Windows. For those who didn't know, the Return(Enter) uses different codes in Windows and in Linux, so the hex editor was more sure-fire.

    After testing the edited Knoppix, I returned to Windows, removed my Knoppix home and configuration files (zipped and renamed them, so Knoppix couldn't find them), then re-booted the modified Knoppix. The missing home and config didn't seem to hurt the built-in cheat codes home=scan and myconfig=scan. Without the necessary files present, Knoppix simply booted to its original state. Later, then the home and config files were restored, my personalized version worked again.

  4. #14
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    26
    Another follow-up: I liked the edits so much that I did some more editing. Now, my default will load home and configuration from my hard drive, as above. I also created a cheat code "hd" that will not only load my home and configuration, it will load Knoppix from my Poor Man's Install. So all I have to do is type "hd".

    I can lend the CD-ROM to someone who doesn't already have Knoppix and would like to try it. With no codes entered, it looks for the non-existent home and configuration, but does not crash.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. WLAN Config, Netcard-Config etc.
    By killozap in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2005, 08:41 AM
  2. Startup Config ?
    By djtwok in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 10:43 AM
  3. Please Post a Simple CONFIG file for Kernel Config
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-06-2003, 05:58 AM
  4. Startup
    By manghat in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-15-2003, 11:54 PM
  5. vncserver startup fails on "default font 'fixed'"
    By andyed in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-12-2003, 04:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$169.99



Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S picture

Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S

$660.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$368.00



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU picture

8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU

$1100.00



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99