Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Mouse doesn't work after hdinstall

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    10

    Mouse doesn't work after hdinstall

    My mouse (Logitech, no usb) doesn't work anymore after a hard drive install. It did work on Knoppix-Live. I can't use the knoppix live anymore, because of a minor partition problem.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: Mouse doesn't work after hdinstall

    Quote Originally Posted by Taldor
    My mouse (Logitech, no usb) doesn't work anymore after a hard drive install. It did work on Knoppix-Live.
    It's probably just your XF86Config-4 file. You can simply copy that file from Knoppix cd to hdd install. Assuming you installed Knoppix to /dev/hda1, boot knoppix then:

    su
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hda1/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    Overwrite exisitng? yes

    I can't use the knoppix live anymore, because of a minor partition problem.
    Not sure I follow you. How does Knoppix live cd not work because of a partition problem? It shouldn't make any difference what you have on your hdd partitions.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Are you using Kernel 2.6? I had a lot of mouse problems with 2.6, try 2.4 again.

    Good Luck,
    AJG

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    11
    Actually I had mouse dection problems with 2.4. 2.6 solved the problems. Go figgure!?!?!?

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    10

    Re: Mouse doesn't work after hdinstall

    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    Not sure I follow you. How does Knoppix live cd not work because of a partition problem? It shouldn't make any difference what you have on your hdd partitions.
    I made a partition for the files of the knoppix cdrom, because I can't burn cdroms. From there I installed knoppix on another partition. Now for an unknown reason the partition with the cdrom files is hidden. (It wasn't hidden before the installation.)

    When I use kernel 2.6 everyting works fine.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram
    Actually I had mouse dection problems with 2.4. 2.6 solved the problems. Go figgure!?!?!?
    No suprise really. You need differnt options in XF86Config-4 for 2.6.* kernels.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    44
    I have the exact same problem! My mouse works in 2.6 and not 2.4...

    So all I do is run the Live CD, and copy the Xconfig file?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    If it's a PS/2 mouse you should have this at the top of the file:
    Section "ServerLayout"
    <snip>
    InputDevice "PS/2 Mouse" "CorePointer"


    And this a bit further down:
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "PS/2 Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice" #for 2.6. Try /dev/psaux for 2.4
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    EndSection


    Just try changing the one line there for different kernels.

Similar Threads

  1. knx-hdinstall don't work
    By gazza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 09:18 PM
  2. Cups doesn't work after hdinstall
    By FelixDzerzhinsky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 04:20 PM
  3. how to make my Mouse Systems mouse work with knoppix?
    By clfest in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-30-2003, 01:59 AM
  4. knx-hdinstall seems not to work.
    By Kahhhtt in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-29-2003, 12:47 PM
  5. adding users after hdinstall causes mouse to freeze
    By sufisuley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2003, 08:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD  picture

Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD

$13.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



Samsung SSD, v-nand,860 EVO, 500gb, model MZ-76E500, SATA III, Health 90-98% picture

Samsung SSD, v-nand,860 EVO, 500gb, model MZ-76E500, SATA III, Health 90-98%

$50.00



Micron 1100 256GB 2.5

Micron 1100 256GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MTFDDAK256TBN-1AR1ZABHA Tested & Wiped

$25.00



Samsung PM961 256GB,Internal (MZ-VLW2560) Solid State Drive picture

Samsung PM961 256GB,Internal (MZ-VLW2560) Solid State Drive

$102.00



KingSpec SSD 2.5

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac

$60.00