Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Disabling DHCP on a HD installed knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    10

    Disabling DHCP on a HD installed knoppix

    How do I disable DHCP from running on interface ETH0?
    I have set /etc/network/interfaces up properly but on boot it still asks for asks the DHCP for an address.

    If i do an ifdown eth0 then ifup eth0 it uses the static address not the dhcp'ed address.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2
    Hi,

    I have the same problem and I am still looking for a solution.
    May anybody help me?

    Even the problem is, that machine with knoppix on it is my DHCP-Server.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    30
    If you don't want the DHCP client to run at all then a quick and dirty way is to do, as root:

    Code:
    chmod -x /sbin/pump

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2
    I am running DHCP on that machine, but the DHCP request, wich the computer during the start makes worries me.

    I have a fixed IP-Adress for my local network here set to that card, but any time on start up the computer tries to get DHCP-Information for himself from out of the local net. After reboot I start ifconfig and then the network is running with the specified values.

    What do I have to do, to become those fixed values every time during reboot to run?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    I don't really undestand the question, but try to figure it out. I assume this is hd installation.

    1) If you don't want dhcp to try get an ip for you, try append cheat codes = nodhcp onto /etc/lilo.conf. Don't forget to update lilo by running lilo afterward.

    2) If your IP resetting everytime you boot and your static ip don't stick, there is two way you can solve the problem.
    a) Edit your /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig:
    comment out line that reads: pump -i $DEVICE >/dev/null 2>&1 &
    and add line : /etc/init.d/networking restart
    or
    b) You can create a script consist of this lines:
    #!/bin/sh
    ifconfig eth0 down
    /etc/init.d/networking stop
    rmmod *xxx
    insmod *xxx *xxx= your network card module
    ifconfig eth0 up
    /etc/init.d/networking start

    name it to what ever you wan't ex: mynet.sh and save it in /etc/init.d
    and run update-rc.d mynet.sh defaults so it can run on boot. To remove , run update-rc.d -f mynet.sh remove .

    3) If you not using gateway, remove it from your /etc/network/interfaces


    Might or might not work. Use at your own risk.

Similar Threads

  1. Disabling IRQ #15 - IBM R30
    By besnia in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 12:25 AM
  2. disabling write_cache for ide devices
    By dtux101 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 03:53 PM
  3. disabling ipv6 in 2.6?
    By bardinjw in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 05:16 PM
  4. Disabling Sound Server
    By Dosmaen in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 07:00 PM
  5. disabling DHCP?
    By jabster in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2003, 01:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$225.00



Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$295.00



MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



​SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested picture

​SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested

$119.99



MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board picture

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board

$675.00



Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI picture

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI

$150.00



S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI) picture

S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)

$34.99



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



Microcomputer Builder's Bible IMSAI 8080 Z80 ADM-3A DEC LSI-11 Altair 8800 Bus picture

Microcomputer Builder's Bible IMSAI 8080 Z80 ADM-3A DEC LSI-11 Altair 8800 Bus

$65.00