poff, to stop the running pppd, and pon to start it again.Code:poff pon
Sometimes, after a storm goes by, the wife starts up Knoppix before I plug the dsl modem back in. She and I would like to know how to tell Knoppix to access the internet again without shutting down her computer and restarting. I think it should be fairly simple. Newbie linux user, so need fairly complete steps, assume no knowledge of CLI, even tho I know a tiny bit.
This is on a system running off cdrom (hers, actually both), she wont run off installed linux...silly woman!!
The modem is an actiontec from Qworst...er...Qwest's dsl.
She 'latched' onto knoppix and wont let go! If we owned a gun and Billy Bob walked by, well he might have to run 'faster than a speeding bullet' if she had ahold of it!!! Hehehe.
TIA![]()
poff, to stop the running pppd, and pon to start it again.Code:poff pon
I wasn't asking about dialup connection, but a dsl connection. Pon/off is for dialup. At least when I 'duplicate' her problem, and tell it poff then pon, I get err messages about no pppd active or something like that and anyway, dsl doesn't use the pppd,. It uses dhcpd...if I am correct.
Thanks anyway.
Well - I have a dsl-modem, and after switching the power on, I have to dial in.
When no pppd is active, poff can be omited.
My dsl uses pppd.
Perhaps you need only pump for dhcp?
User unknown is right, pon ( not porn )isn't just for dialup
Since she's running from cd, and assumming your dsl run ppoe, she need to kill her connection first because you are using dynamic ip (from isp)( i assumed). Run : poff -a ; run once again to make sure the connection is dead. Don't tell me it's dead because you switch off the modem![]()
Then run : pon or pon dsl-provider.
To check connection run : plog * the last time I used plog in knoppix it didn't work, something must have broke in my system.![]()
All I needed was to su to root and pump. Thanks guys. The dsl is 'active' on powering it on. Just needed to get the wife's computer to connect. She hates to shutdown and restart..even tho it is simple to do.
If I shutdown the dsl after she is connected, as soon as the dsl negociates a connection we are connected. It is only when knoppix is started without the power and connection made that the system doesn't talk to the modem. PUMP gets that 'bridge' connected from the box to the modem.
Thx again.
Well - she's right in not to like to shutdown and restart, because that reminds of another system
I didn't know that the other machine made the dialup (or the modem is dialing-up by itself). But for now we can all be happy - pon, poff, pump, and pppstatus perhaps, instead of plog.
shah:will show the connection-status on tty10.Code:pppstatus -d 10

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Window FX Family Friendly Halloween Collection USB Flash Drive 6 Videos 723046
$24.99
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99
128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47
Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00
FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US
$349.00