Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How do you start a dsl modem after knoppix is up?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Scottsdale AZ USA
    Posts
    12

    How do you start a dsl modem after knoppix is up?

    Sometimes, after a storm goes by, the wife starts up Knoppix before I plug the dsl modem back in. She and I would like to know how to tell Knoppix to access the internet again without shutting down her computer and restarting. I think it should be fairly simple. Newbie linux user, so need fairly complete steps, assume no knowledge of CLI, even tho I know a tiny bit.

    This is on a system running off cdrom (hers, actually both), she wont run off installed linux...silly woman!!

    The modem is an actiontec from Qworst...er...Qwest's dsl.

    She 'latched' onto knoppix and wont let go! If we owned a gun and Billy Bob walked by, well he might have to run 'faster than a speeding bullet' if she had ahold of it!!! Hehehe.

    TIA

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Code:
    poff
    pon
    poff, to stop the running pppd, and pon to start it again.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Scottsdale AZ USA
    Posts
    12
    I wasn't asking about dialup connection, but a dsl connection. Pon/off is for dialup. At least when I 'duplicate' her problem, and tell it poff then pon, I get err messages about no pppd active or something like that and anyway, dsl doesn't use the pppd,. It uses dhcpd...if I am correct.

    Thanks anyway.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Well - I have a dsl-modem, and after switching the power on, I have to dial in.
    When no pppd is active, poff can be omited.
    My dsl uses pppd.

    Perhaps you need only pump for dhcp?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    User unknown is right, pon ( not porn )isn't just for dialup

    Since she's running from cd, and assumming your dsl run ppoe, she need to kill her connection first because you are using dynamic ip (from isp)( i assumed). Run : poff -a ; run once again to make sure the connection is dead. Don't tell me it's dead because you switch off the modem

    Then run : pon or pon dsl-provider.
    To check connection run : plog * the last time I used plog in knoppix it didn't work, something must have broke in my system.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Scottsdale AZ USA
    Posts
    12
    All I needed was to su to root and pump. Thanks guys. The dsl is 'active' on powering it on. Just needed to get the wife's computer to connect. She hates to shutdown and restart..even tho it is simple to do.

    If I shutdown the dsl after she is connected, as soon as the dsl negociates a connection we are connected. It is only when knoppix is started without the power and connection made that the system doesn't talk to the modem. PUMP gets that 'bridge' connected from the box to the modem.

    Thx again.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Well - she's right in not to like to shutdown and restart, because that reminds of another system

    I didn't know that the other machine made the dialup (or the modem is dialing-up by itself). But for now we can all be happy - pon, poff, pump, and pppstatus perhaps, instead of plog.

    shah:
    Code:
    pppstatus -d 10
    will show the connection-status on tty10.

Similar Threads

  1. How to start HD knoppix with just CD?
    By lynnwgnr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-19-2005, 07:02 PM
  2. Before I Start Knoppix
    By Barton71 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 06:03 PM
  3. Hoe to start Knoppix on TV
    By banevere in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2004, 08:31 AM
  4. How do you start knoppix?
    By Login_Here in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 05:24 AM
  5. Knoppix does not start
    By mundhra_ritesh in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-08-2003, 05:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair

$323.75



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800

$59.99



Golf Challenge - Sierra On-Line - 1982 / Atari 400/800 picture

Golf Challenge - Sierra On-Line - 1982 / Atari 400/800

$199.95



Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit picture

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit

$199.97



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm picture

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm

$48.95