-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: How to I network two PCs together with Ethernet

Originally Posted by
transistordude
Hi,
I would like to transfer files between my PC and laptop via ethernet. I have a cross cat 5e yellow cable and ethernet on both computers.
I clicked on Knoppix->Network Internet-> Network card configuration on both computers and I saw nothing except the mouse icon change for a few seconds.
Please advise on the command to learn what is my IP address so I could ping the computers and how do I specify in Konqueror the netwroked computer's directories.
Thanks,
Frank
If you are just connecting 2 computers by a cross-over cable and have no other network connections, then the 2 computers don't "have" IP addresses; you would have to assign one to each of them. If this network is completely cut off from anything else then you could use any IP addresses; but you would be wise to use private unroutable addreses like 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3.
Although 2 computers can be networked this way and it might server you well, I really recommend the use of an inexpensive router. If you have high speed internet this becomes almost a must. In this case that would take care of all set-up and IP assignment for you. But it cartainly can be done with a cross over cable; I have one myself and have done just that with it.
By the way, you do know that the color of the cross-over cable is a non-issue, don't you?
Similar Threads
-
By kubikanber in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-19-2004, 08:22 PM
-
By phoenix07 in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-09-2004, 10:48 AM
-
By gill1109 in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-28-2003, 05:20 AM
-
By Anssi in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-29-2003, 06:38 AM
-
By david in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-09-2003, 02:11 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays
$599.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount
$489.99