-
Junior Member
registered user
You guys are right, I omitted to say that it is a hard disk Knoppix install.
I typed netcardconfig and got the dialogs. I assigned the IP addresses manually. The tower PC got 192.168.1.2. I left all the other parameters at their default values.
For the color code I am aware that makers put pretty much any color. I know for sure that my cable is a cross because I bought it specifically for this purpose at a store and I already networked two Windows-Windows PCs together with it.
Harry: I have a question about the private unroutable address. Exactly what in the 192.168.1.2 numbers guarantees it doesn't match some IP address somewhere on the net if I have a dialup modem online with the ethernet between the two PCs on?
PROBLEM: I ping the laptop with "ping 192.168.4" but ping gives no response at all. There is no timeout or unreachable. When I press control-C it says 100% packet loss with many packets that were sent.
Another detail I didn't mention Knoppix seems to think the laptop has two ethernet ports. I am using a PCMCIA card and assume that it's eth1.
I ran the Knoppix terminal server on the laptop. After, I went to linneighborhood, clicked on ADD, but the client was not written. So, I typed the Ip address, put nothing in the group, wrote the tower PC name and clicked OK. (I got an error when I did Querry.)
I did not find the devices icon in konqueror. Where is it?
I suspect something might be wrong because if I run netcardconfig on the client tower PC, with the DHCP, DHCP doesn't work.
Similar Threads
-
By kubikanber in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-19-2004, 08:22 PM
-
By phoenix07 in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-09-2004, 10:48 AM
-
By gill1109 in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-28-2003, 05:20 AM
-
By Anssi in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-29-2003, 06:38 AM
-
By david in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-09-2003, 02:11 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$218.79

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00