Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Installing Knoppix on a debian-knoppix (?) partition

  1. #1

    Installing Knoppix on a debian-knoppix (?) partition

    Hi

    I was wondering if is possible to install knoppix on top of my existing debian partition (installed from knoppix)

    I ask because my old installation could never recognize my sound card and I could never get it to work manually. I would just like to "update" my partition with a working sound card (sound works with 3.2 cd)

    Yea yea, I know I should just hack my way around to get sound working but I've did everything I could (not much, but still...) and never got anything working.

    I guess what I want is not exactly to reinstall a new knoppix but "repair" my debian with this latest CD... If all come to worse I will just reinstall but I'd like to be sure I can save my /home directory first...

    Oh and I have another question... how do I add knoppix/debian to grub? I could not find bzImage anywhere is there an other place where my grub.conf file should point to?

    Thanks for your time...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I was wondering if is possible to install knoppix on top of my existing debian partition (installed from knoppix)
    why not?

    I'd like to be sure I can save my /home directory first...
    copy it to another location.

    how do I add knoppix/debian to grub?
    Sorry - I don't know grub

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Do you already have grub on your computer?

    If so here is an example from my Libranet /boot/grub/menu.lst file
    (snip)
    title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.18
    root (hd0,6)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18 root=/dev/hda7 ro hdd=scsi hdc=scsi
    savedefault

    Note: grub uses it's own syntax for your hd look at the root entry, my root device is /dev/hda7 note grub calls that hd0,6. For a knoppix install your kernel entry will be /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs the hdd=scsi and hdc=scsi entries are for scsi emulation of my cd-rom and cd-rw.

    HTH

    rock

Similar Threads

  1. Mounting Debian Partition Error
    By downdogWoof in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 03:01 PM
  2. HOWTO fix debian or knoppix/debian for Russian fonts
    By datakid in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 07:46 AM
  3. Newbie: remastering knoppix on a non-debian partition
    By freeballer in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-17-2003, 03:15 AM
  4. installing debian packages.
    By gtgoku in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:02 AM
  5. Installing standard debian kernel
    By brjhaverkamp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-24-2003, 02:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98