-
Senior Member
registered user
How do I Undo a "chmod -R 777 on my /etc directory?
Hello....I had done chmod -R 777 /etc and the problem is, I cannot begin to configure my desktop computer to network with my laptop cause when I do this:
dpkg-reconfigure ssh
/etc/init.d/ssh start
i get error saying my permissions on that folder are too open and it will not let me use ssh.
How can I change the permissions on my /etc folder back to default permissions? thank you
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: How do I Undo a "chmod -R 777 on my /etc directory?
>>
Hello....I had done chmod -R 777 /etc and the
problem is, I cannot begin to configure my
desktop computer to network with my laptop cause
when I do this:
dpkg-reconfigure ssh
/etc/init.d/ssh start
i get error saying my permissions on that folder
are too open and it will not let me use ssh.
How can I change the permissions on my /etc folder
back to default permissions? thank you 
>>
bob58...
hmmmmmmm....
The hard way, more than likely. You did a recursive
change mode. Setting everything "rwe". Not a
good idea.
You could try doing the recovery in a number of
steps, that is, firstly do...
]# chmod 754 -R /etc
Then go through each directory and make adjustments.
The directories can be set to "755",
non-recursive. Set the files to "544". Some
files will need to be set to "500", such as
lilo.conf, and other related security things.
I like to kill all world access to directories/files myself.
You may need to do a...
]$ dpkg -S path_to_file
to find the various packages that files belong
to. Then actually look into the packages to
find their default permissions. But you will need
actual packages to work with there.
Or, find another box some where that you can
template it off, which may be a better idea.
That means pen and paper of course.
You must have done that as "root".
That's a good example of why we do not use our
"root" account unless absolutly neccessary, buddy !!!!!
If you have the Knoppix LiveCD handy, you
could boot that up, mount your somewhat "open"
system, and then use the default permissions from
the ramdisk knoppix image to template a
re-permissioning of your dedicated /etc directory.
That may be the easiest way to do it.
LiveCD's can be handy things, no ?
A dual pane file manager will help there too (filerunner)
Good Luck.
jm
Similar Threads
-
By jiohdi in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-02-2005, 02:44 PM
-
By Honkeychops in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-01-2004, 05:23 AM
-
By LinuxGeek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-20-2003, 07:30 PM
-
By ollisoft in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-18-2003, 03:44 AM
-
By kiwiguy in forum Ideas
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-21-2003, 07:20 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

Toshiba Magnia SG20 VPN Linux server Web server (No HDD, *Read*) -
$60.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package
$199.00

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99