-
I can't backup anything - i need to login as root?
Sweet jesus!
My HD filesystem is currupt and all i want to do is transfer 1 SQL database onto CD. However the SQL database that i want has a padlock on it and when i try to do anything with it, it says 'you do not have enough permissions to read'.
All the files are there! when i boot knoppix it finds everything like a dream but just on some files it has this padlock.
Fair enough! however how the hell can i login as Root to backup this file?
I know my root username and password.
That's all I want to do.....
-
Senior Member
registered user
Easy, calm down.
I'm assuming from the number of posts under your name and the nature of your question that your're new to Knoppix, so if my comments appear to assume that you know nothing, please don't be insulted. If you are running from Knoppix from CD, be aware that all drives are set to be read only by default. You get that error when you try to write to a drive what is read only. It has nothing to do with root. For any given drive on your desktop, right click, properties, third tab, uncheck read only, OK, right click the drive again, unmount, double click the drive again to remount. Don't ask me why you have to unmount and remount, I don't know, you just do. When you're ready to copy to CD, the program you want is K3B.
Hopefully, this will get you to where you need to be to do what you want to do from the graphical desktop. If not, then yes, you can issue commands from the console, and you may have to do some of them as root.
HTH
jd
-
Thanks for the reply. I followed the instructions but no luck.
Any files that i downloaded under Redhat 9 have also padlocks on them.
-
Junior Member
registered user
What happens if you open up a terminal and copy it off as root?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Get this "run/open as root service menu". It save your time.
http://www.kde-apps.org/content/down...ent=11227&id=1
-
I think I figured it out!
I was just having a similar problem. Here's how I gained full access to my other partictions in knoppix.
1) open a terminal window.
2) su
-- no password is needed
3) /KNOPPIX/usr/bin/konq*
this should open knoqueror in root mode.
4)to get to my other particion I typed:
/mnt/hda2
in the location text box
I hope this works for you. There may be an easier way, but this worked for me.
Similar Threads
-
By bsjawle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 15
Last Post: 04-09-2005, 05:02 AM
-
By ackelley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-12-2005, 11:52 PM
-
By Dark19 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-15-2003, 03:41 AM
-
By Mogiin in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-13-2003, 11:02 AM
-
By 1st_time in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-17-2003, 04:57 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

Lot of 9 SK hynix 16GB DDR4 3200AA HMAA2GS6CJR8N-XN 1Rx8 PC Laptop Memory RAM
$602.99

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$289.80