Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Newbie question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5

    Newbie question

    Hi all

    I have tried various flavours of Linux - Xandros, Mandrake 10, Debian etc and all have either not registered my USB MODEM, or in the case of Xandros have seen it but won't use it to connect to the net.

    Then I download Knoppix Live CD - Volia! USB MODEM detected and connection to the net established without giving any details of my Telewest user name and password!

    How is this possible??

    How can the live cd access the net and MODEM without me providing details?

    I would dearly love to know, because if I can use Knoppix on a regular basis, the XP becomes a Playstation (just for games) - All I need to do is inststall to HDD, get a firewall sorted out and Internet connection sharing enabled and I'm sorted.

    I must know how Knoppix can know my MODEM and net details though.

    Please help

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Are you talking about a broadband modem??? If so, what you describe is to be expected. I only need DSL name and password to access e-mail, internet is always on.

    If you're talking about a dial-up modem, you've entered the Twilight Zone.

    jd

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    I need to be in twillight zone too........I wish I have this modem

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5
    It is a broadband modem, but I didn't put any details in - no login name or password. Is it pickingup the details from XP?

    If I install to the HDD will everything still work?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    yes, most likey.
    might be a few comands to get it there but... nothing hard, we will try helping out if you get problems

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred666
    It is a broadband modem, but I didn't put any details in - no login name or password. Is it pickingup the details from XP?
    Not from XP - if it's like any other broadband I've seen, it doesn't need these details to deliver the internet. IOW, it is behaving exactly as it should.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred666
    If I install to the HDD will everything still work?
    I doubt it. But you may be close. From what I've seen, it should work better than the other distros. I love Knoppix.

    jd

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5
    Thanks all - installed to a blank hdd - not brave enough to risk my main drive yet - everything seems to work ok - internet access staight away!

    not sure about the network settings yet to enable the xp machines to share my net connection, but i'm sure i will get there!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2
    I don't get it either. I was fooling around with a download of SUSE 9.1 and I was able to access the internet without any problems. Unfortunately, SUSE didn't like my Gateway Solo 9550 Laptop. So, I will have to try this Knoppix. Atleast I won't have to install it while I am playing. javascript:emoticon('')
    Very Happy

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    11
    Many broadband connections use DHCP. A router on your lan can be configured for DHCP and can make this simple as it is easy to configure, if not automaticaly detected.javascript:emoticon('')

Similar Threads

  1. Probably a very newbie question..
    By Schopenhauer101 in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 11:07 AM
  2. Newbie question?
    By boombastic in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 04:23 PM
  3. newbie question
    By mover50 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 01:56 AM
  4. newbie question
    By gt300 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2004, 06:32 PM
  5. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on picture

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on

$255.00



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested picture

Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested

$149.99



Atari 1200XL Computer Game Console Vintage Rare FOR PARTS OR REPAIR READ picture

Atari 1200XL Computer Game Console Vintage Rare FOR PARTS OR REPAIR READ

$270.00



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Broken Indus GT Floppy Disk Drive for Atari picture

Broken Indus GT Floppy Disk Drive for Atari

$129.99



atari 400 Upgraded 48k board & mpp-1100 working & Power Supply picture

atari 400 Upgraded 48k board & mpp-1100 working & Power Supply

$109.65



Atari 800XL 8-bit Home Computer Video Game System - **UNTESTED PARTS OR REPAIR** picture

Atari 800XL 8-bit Home Computer Video Game System - **UNTESTED PARTS OR REPAIR**

$89.99



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U picture

Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U

$159.99