Are you talking about a broadband modem??? If so, what you describe is to be expected. I only need DSL name and password to access e-mail, internet is always on.
If you're talking about a dial-up modem, you've entered the Twilight Zone.
jd
Hi all
I have tried various flavours of Linux - Xandros, Mandrake 10, Debian etc and all have either not registered my USB MODEM, or in the case of Xandros have seen it but won't use it to connect to the net.
Then I download Knoppix Live CD - Volia! USB MODEM detected and connection to the net established without giving any details of my Telewest user name and password!
How is this possible??
How can the live cd access the net and MODEM without me providing details?
I would dearly love to know, because if I can use Knoppix on a regular basis, the XP becomes a Playstation (just for games) - All I need to do is inststall to HDD, get a firewall sorted out and Internet connection sharing enabled and I'm sorted.
I must know how Knoppix can know my MODEM and net details though.
Please help
Are you talking about a broadband modem??? If so, what you describe is to be expected. I only need DSL name and password to access e-mail, internet is always on.
If you're talking about a dial-up modem, you've entered the Twilight Zone.
jd
I need to be in twillight zone too........I wish I have this modem![]()
It is a broadband modem, but I didn't put any details in - no login name or password. Is it pickingup the details from XP?
If I install to the HDD will everything still work?
yes, most likey.
might be a few comands to get it there but... nothing hard, we will try helping out if you get problems
Not from XP - if it's like any other broadband I've seen, it doesn't need these details to deliver the internet. IOW, it is behaving exactly as it should.Originally Posted by Fred666
I doubt it.Originally Posted by Fred666
But you may be close. From what I've seen, it should work better than the other distros. I love Knoppix.
jd
Thanks all - installed to a blank hdd - not brave enough to risk my main drive yet - everything seems to work ok - internet access staight away!
not sure about the network settings yet to enable the xp machines to share my net connection, but i'm sure i will get there!
I don't get it either. I was fooling around with a download of SUSE 9.1 and I was able to access the internet without any problems. Unfortunately, SUSE didn't like my Gateway Solo 9550 Laptop. So, I will have to try this Knoppix. Atleast I won't have to install it while I am playing. javascript:emoticon('')
Very Happy
Many broadband connections use DHCP. A router on your lan can be configured for DHCP and can make this simple as it is easy to configure, if not automaticaly detected.javascript:emoticon('')

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
$120.00
CPU-RAM-MOBO COMBO- 32gb DDR4 3600MHz, i5 CPU, Asus Prime Motherboard
$370.00
Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor
$79.00
Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU
$74.99
Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU
$80.00
Intel Core i5-14600KF Unlocked Desktop Processor
$259.99
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49
HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P
$319.99
GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4
$229.95