Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Newbie question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5

    Newbie question

    Hi all

    I have tried various flavours of Linux - Xandros, Mandrake 10, Debian etc and all have either not registered my USB MODEM, or in the case of Xandros have seen it but won't use it to connect to the net.

    Then I download Knoppix Live CD - Volia! USB MODEM detected and connection to the net established without giving any details of my Telewest user name and password!

    How is this possible??

    How can the live cd access the net and MODEM without me providing details?

    I would dearly love to know, because if I can use Knoppix on a regular basis, the XP becomes a Playstation (just for games) - All I need to do is inststall to HDD, get a firewall sorted out and Internet connection sharing enabled and I'm sorted.

    I must know how Knoppix can know my MODEM and net details though.

    Please help

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Are you talking about a broadband modem??? If so, what you describe is to be expected. I only need DSL name and password to access e-mail, internet is always on.

    If you're talking about a dial-up modem, you've entered the Twilight Zone.

    jd

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    I need to be in twillight zone too........I wish I have this modem

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5
    It is a broadband modem, but I didn't put any details in - no login name or password. Is it pickingup the details from XP?

    If I install to the HDD will everything still work?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    yes, most likey.
    might be a few comands to get it there but... nothing hard, we will try helping out if you get problems

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred666
    It is a broadband modem, but I didn't put any details in - no login name or password. Is it pickingup the details from XP?
    Not from XP - if it's like any other broadband I've seen, it doesn't need these details to deliver the internet. IOW, it is behaving exactly as it should.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred666
    If I install to the HDD will everything still work?
    I doubt it. But you may be close. From what I've seen, it should work better than the other distros. I love Knoppix.

    jd

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5
    Thanks all - installed to a blank hdd - not brave enough to risk my main drive yet - everything seems to work ok - internet access staight away!

    not sure about the network settings yet to enable the xp machines to share my net connection, but i'm sure i will get there!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2
    I don't get it either. I was fooling around with a download of SUSE 9.1 and I was able to access the internet without any problems. Unfortunately, SUSE didn't like my Gateway Solo 9550 Laptop. So, I will have to try this Knoppix. Atleast I won't have to install it while I am playing. javascript:emoticon('')
    Very Happy

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    11
    Many broadband connections use DHCP. A router on your lan can be configured for DHCP and can make this simple as it is easy to configure, if not automaticaly detected.javascript:emoticon('')

Similar Threads

  1. Probably a very newbie question..
    By Schopenhauer101 in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 11:07 AM
  2. Newbie question?
    By boombastic in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 04:23 PM
  3. newbie question
    By mover50 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 01:56 AM
  4. newbie question
    By gt300 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2004, 06:32 PM
  5. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW picture

Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW

$49.99



Samsung 2TB 9100 PRO 14,700MB/s PCIe 5.0 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-VAP2T0B/AM) picture

Samsung 2TB 9100 PRO 14,700MB/s PCIe 5.0 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-VAP2T0B/AM)

$399.49



Samsung 256GB M.2 PCIE PM951 NVMe SSD MZ-VLV256D MZVLV256HCHP-000D1 Grade A picture

Samsung 256GB M.2 PCIE PM951 NVMe SSD MZ-VLV256D MZVLV256HCHP-000D1 Grade A

$34.98



Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 Lite 10.9

Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 Lite 10.9" 128GB Silver Wi-Fi SM-X400NZSAXAR

$206.00



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Samsung 860 PRO  2TB 2.5

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 82% Health

$185.00



Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra picture

Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra

$20.99



Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc picture

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc

$27.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



Genuine Samsung WIS09ABGN 2009 2010 Smart TV Wireless WiFi LAN Adapter picture

Genuine Samsung WIS09ABGN 2009 2010 Smart TV Wireless WiFi LAN Adapter

$29.99