Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Cannot login since I entered chmod command?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15

    Cannot login since I entered chmod command?

    I logged in as user "gopi" and I did the command "chmod 644 *" and when I tried to log in again as "gopi" its not accepting me.But I am able to log in as root user since I didnt issue that command as a root user I think.So how to get back my privileges? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    You chmod 644ed what exactly? When you use chmod, you must specify a file or a directory.

    Regards,
    AJG

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15
    What do you mean? I did chmod 644 *
    Note that asterisk!

    And also after that login box appears and when I enter login name as "gopi" and password and press enter, the monitor blinks for a while and again that login box appears.But normally it shouldnt.I mean directly Desktop items should appear without monitor going black for sometime.

    So what can I do?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I take it you were in a shell, right? What directory were you in when you ran chmod?

    Regards,
    AJG

Similar Threads

  1. chmod doesnt work ?
    By pdc124 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 10:35 PM
  2. chmod question
    By jiohdi in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 02:44 PM
  3. How do I Undo a "chmod -R 777 on my /etc directory?
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2004, 12:47 PM
  4. Strange behaviour: X login from boot and command "last
    By freddys in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-20-2004, 10:58 PM
  5. login with GUI/Command Line
    By wilsondk in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 10:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health picture

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health

$360.00



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA  HDD picture

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD

$14.99



Cisco UCSB-MRAID12G FlexStorage 12G SAS Raid Controller picture

Cisco UCSB-MRAID12G FlexStorage 12G SAS Raid Controller

$23.99



Dell PowerVault MD3000i AMP01 Storage Array 4x Cad 2x PSUs No HDDs/Controllers picture

Dell PowerVault MD3000i AMP01 Storage Array 4x Cad 2x PSUs No HDDs/Controllers

$164.95



BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller picture

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller

$714.99