I have an old Compaq DeskPro XL 5133 computer.
It has "Compaq Integrated Audio" on DMA 1 at address 530.
It used to have Windows 98 and the audio (speakers and mic) worked fine.
I wiped out Windows 98 from the hard disk.
I just finished doing a Knoppix hard disk intall and
I tried to use Audacity to check the sound.
When I start Audacity, I get the message:
"There was an error initializing the audio i/o layer.
You will not be able to play or record audio.
Error: Host Error"
So I tried to configure the audio with "/usr/sbin/sndconfig"
But sndconfig says:
"You don't seem to be running a kernel with modular sound enabled.
(soundcore.o was not found in the module search path).
To use sndconfig you must be running a kernel with modular
sound, such as the kernel shipped with Debian GNU/Linux
or a 2,2 kernel and sound must be compiled as modules."
So I did a "uname -a" and it says that I have
Linux 2.6.6
And (I understand that) the Knoppix hard disk install is Debian.
So I added the "soundcore" to "/etc/modules-2.6.6" and did a reboot.
Now the "soundcore" module loads at boot time without any (visible) problems.
But Audacity and sndconfig still give the same messages.
I don't know what to do. Have I done the right things so far?
Please help.

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95
Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07
Cisco VoIP Phone CP-8851 with 8800 Key Expansion Modules
$69.00
Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99
Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00
magicJack PLUS VoIP Phone Adapter USB, 1 Line, Caller ID, Black
$39.99
Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28
Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$19.99
Yealink W70B W73H DECT IP VoIP Cordless Phone Handset Base Charger Never Used
$109.00
Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth
$49.95