-
Senior Member
registered user
Hold me tight...
...never let me go. Such is the anthem of the held debian package. I need a link to a good tutorial on such miserable things. I am playing with Kanotix BH7a and like every other distro out there, it came complete with some yummy held goodies. I know this isn't the kernel for me quite yet so am perfectly willing to nuke the bugger learning how to DEhold these darn things. I have a good link to apt here as well as debian's doc apt howto. I find all sorely lacking in explanations of the dreaded held package (I didn't hold the damn thing!
) Anyone have a link that can give me enough insight to totally hose this system trying to UNhold those packages the developer in their wisdom held?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I don't like you
But I love you
Seems that I'm always
Thinking of you...
Ahem. Does the Holding back packages from an upgrade section from the Debian Reference Manual help? You'd have to reverse the process it describes by changing "hold" to "install".
Looking at the list of selections on the live BH7a CD, looks like there are very few held packages; most of them are marked either "install" or "purge".
I love you and all I want you to do
Is just hold me, hold me, hold me, hold me --
You really got a hold on me
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hmmmmmmmm,
Reading both of you'essss posts, gives me the "feeling" of George Orwell's 1984 ( book, movie )
All there is, is love for Big Brother... Don't ask, how much, you have to love Big Brother, just, give your undieing love, all, and completely, to him...
You have to love, Knoppix, or Kanotix, or Red Hat, or SuSE, or Mandrake, or Debian. All there is, is love for... Don't ask how much to love... just give your unfailing, undieing, love, all, and completely, to... ( the only thing, we all need now, is, that "image" of "Big Brother" as a default background image, on EVERY distro of Linux, and it will be complete -=- the one where he is always watching, always seeing, and waiting, for you to "commit" a crime against the "thought police". )
Seriously though, I didn't really think about the issue, until reading both of you too's posts - in Windows, you have a nice GUI to "unload" accessories, or options, that "they" think you should have installed, and never-more be bothered with them... If you decide you want something, either newly, or previously, you can set a checkbox, and it gets added back in - you don't need Lan support, flip a switch, don't need "host mail server" support, flip a switch, don't have a FAX, flip a switch... ( I guess I need to seriously look at "synaptic" is it? )
Oh well, I am just waiting for my background image to fade out, and the image of Big Brother, to appear... with those all loving, all seeing, "peering" eyes...
Ms. Cuddles
-
Senior Member
registered user
LOL Eco. Last night I did go and use synaptic to upgrade the held libqt3mtdev (sp?) despite it's protests
. That was the corker that was blocking so much of my upgrading. I am here on BH7a now so nothing blew up obviously. I have to play around and see if I can find anything broken. There are a couple of others held here, menu, kdm - just off the top of my head oh, and grub too. What I was wondering, do you find a place in the distro's documentation on why they are held? What I wish for is some apt utility (like my bug fetcher) that would explain why the thing is held if the developer didn't leave a note behind.
-
Senior Member
registered user
LOL you too, Cuddles. I will take a linux developer for a big brother before an Uncle Billy
-
Senior Member
registered user
Nishtya,
as to your apt utility on finding out why a "package" is being held back...
Won't apt-cache policy [package] - give output on requirements? ( I know it shows dependancies, and what "it likes" to have with it, and what it "knocks heads" with, in the output...
Someone, either Eco or Stephen, did a "research" on a problem I had, previously, and used the above, in combination with "walking down the line" of the dependancies, and using apt-cache show [package] to view whats installed, stuff....
Not sure if this is what you meant, or something a little more, easier,
Ms. Cuddles
-
Sometimes a package is held because it's new version has a new dependency, ergo, wants another package to install. The easiest way I've found to check for this is:
apt-get -s --ignore-hold install held-packagename
If it says something like "These EXTRA packages will be installed" you'll know what it wants.
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
nishtya, if you are already running Debian SID then what's the big hurry about upgrading? Is there something missing from menu, kdm or grub that you will obtain by upgrading? Usually it is sufficient to let apt just work as it will. You're just making yourself dizzy for no good reason. 
You want a howto for apt-get? Well you have only to look on this very site right here.
I found something the other day posted by Stephen called apt-file. Check it out.
apt-get update && apt-get install apt-file
apt-file update
apt-file list kdm
It's a very cool tool. I'm sure you can see how useful it is.
Now this link is sorta OT but I think you'll like it.
debaday
I have certainly found some very good .debs there that I did not know existed.
-
Senior Member
registered user
well mz, it's like this. I do the apt-get update thing then head onto the mall, err kpackage and look what newer versions of my stuff there is. And like in the case of devmt whatever, I can't upgrade the wardrobe without some bugger holding me back. In the case of that one, I just overroad it using synaptic (haven't found where kpackage can do that, darned it)
Sometimes newer is better and sometimes like it is with KDE it is a whole world of hurt. Upgrading to the 3.3 (is it still beta?) I lost my baghira and a couple of other goodies. Anxiously awaiting my eyecandy back with the new KDE.
Oh, gonna check out debaday......I love to shop
Similar Threads
-
By Mic Q in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-15-2004, 01:05 AM
-
By Steve F in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 8
Last Post: 09-14-2004, 10:33 PM
-
By fitsnips in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-19-2003, 06:00 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

IBM 02CL197 FLASH SYSTEM 840-900 LITHIUM ION SERVER BATTERY MODULE 990854
$225.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs
$49.99