Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: problem mounting cd (knoppix booting from hd)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5

    problem mounting cd (knoppix booting from hd)

    I have knoppix 3.4 (booting from hd). I cannot mount the cd.

    When booting, knoppix tell me:
    ...
    mount: fs type deves not supported by kernel
    unmount: devfs: not mounted
    ...


    On fstab:
    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
    /dev/hda4 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda7 none swap defaults 0 0

    I have the icon on KDE, but does not show mount option like for the hd.
    I try to put a cd, but nothing happen...
    If I click on the icon, knoppix says me: file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist.

    In /mnt I found cdrom as unknow link, I try to delete it, but nothing happen...
    I try to mount by hand, but nothing happen

    ...any clue? I don't have any idea about what to do! Help!

    Thank you!
    Rosso39

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5
    ...some news...

    The units is dvd/cd/rw, and there is a /dev/dvd, but not a /dev/cdrom...

    Any clue?

    Thanks in advance.
    Bye!
    Rosso

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Can you post here the "append" line from /etc/lilo.conf and the output of:
    dmesg |grep cd
    dmesg |grep sr
    dmesg |grep scd
    dmesg |grep hdc

    There are a lot of recent posts about the same subject, you could do a search or at least have a look at:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11756
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12074

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5
    Hi Markus,
    thanks a lot for the suggestion... In another topic I found the solution:

    mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /cdrom

    ...this work. But if I try to use /mnt/cdrom, the computer replies:
    mount: mount point /mnt/cdrom is a symbolic link to nowhere

    How can I do?

    Now, the next problem is to discover how to have my cdrom desktop link working in an automatic way...

    Bye!
    Rosso39

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    /mnt/cdrom probably points to /mnt/auto/cdrom or some such, you can check with ls -la /mnt/cdrom . Since Debian has the mountpoint in / it's is supposed to be /cdrom.
    If /dev/sr0 works for the cdrom you can change it's line in /etc/fstab to:
    /dev/sr0 /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
    Then you should be able to mount it with the command mount /cdrom

    The desktop icon is faulty. Right-click on it and change the device to /dev/sr0 and mountpoint to /cdrom.

    EDIT: I forgot before. If you only have one hd post the output of dmesg|grep hdb instead of hdc. Still you could post the "append" line from /etc/lilo.conf

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5
    Hi, Markus,
    here some useful information (I hope):

    $ dmesg|grep cd
    sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

    $ dmesg|grep sr
    Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

    $ dmesg|grep scd

    $ dmesg|grep hdb
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xb800-0xb807, BIOS settings: hdaMA, hdbMA
    hdb: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R6012, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    hdb: attached ide-scsi driver.

    $ dmesg|grep hda
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xb800-0xb807, BIOS settings: hdaMA, hdbMA
    hda: IC25N060ATMR04-0, ATA DISK drive
    hda: attached ide-disk driver.
    hda: host protected area => 1
    hda: 117210240 sectors (60012 MB) w/7884KiB Cache, CHS=7296/255/63
    hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 < hda5 hda6 hda7 > hda4

    $ from lilo.conf:

    default="Linux"

    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="Linux"
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet lang)it"
    read-only
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26
    label="Linux(2.4)-1"
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.26
    append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet lang)it"
    read-only

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5
    label="Linux(2.6)-2"
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.5
    append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet lang)it"
    read-only

    $ ls -la /mnt/cdrom
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Jul 15 14:31 /mnt/cdrom -> /mnt/auto/cdrom

    I try to change the symbolic link from /mnt/cdrom to /cdrom, but after rebooting the icon point again to /mnt/cdrom. I didn't find the way to change /dev/cdrom to /dev/sr0.

    If I mount the cd by hand, all is working (I also try to burn a CD, and it works).

    Thank you and bye,
    Alberto

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8
    try
    rm -f /dev/cdrom
    ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/sr0 #this may be flipped , commands are rusty
    mount /cdrom

    if it says /mnt/cdrom does not exist...cant u just make it? mkdir /mnt/cdrom and modify fstab

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I try to change the symbolic link from /mnt/cdrom to /cdrom, but after rebooting the icon point again to /mnt/cdrom. I didn't find the way to change /dev/cdrom to /dev/sr0.
    Have a look in ~/.kde/Autostart and look for a sorticons file or some such. If you find one, delete it.
    You have some options here. You can either modify fstab to point to the right device, or make a symlink.
    With symlinking you can either do ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/cdrom or ln -s /dev/hdb /dev/cdrom
    sr0 is for SCSI emulation in case you use the 2.4 kernel which would need a hdb=ide-scsi or hdb=scsi in the append line in lilo.conf, hdb is for use with the 2.6 kernel.
    Changing fstab would mean (see above which to use):
    /dev/sr0 /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/hdb /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
    If you symlink you can leave it at: /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0

    If all this is confusing and you use 2.6.x kernel and can't make up your mind ;
    Change fstab to /dev/hdb /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5

    All right

    ...I was on holiday, so I cannot answer before, sorry...

    Anyway, I want just to thank you, because I follow your suggestion, and now the CD icon works properly.
    Thank you!



    Alberto

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1

    Re: All right

    Um... I'm having the same problem. Which of the solutions was the one that worked?

    Quote Originally Posted by rosso39
    ...I was on holiday, so I cannot answer before, sorry...

    Anyway, I want just to thank you, because I follow your suggestion, and now the CD icon works properly.
    Thank you!



    Alberto

Similar Threads

  1. Audio CD mounting problem
    By leone25s in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 12:07 PM
  2. Problem Mounting
    By tzulberti in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:02 AM
  3. Problem Mounting
    By tzulberti in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 04:52 AM
  4. NTFS mounting problem
    By stf-ko in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 10:07 PM
  5. problem mounting hda3
    By wolfpeach in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 03:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00