-
Some help needed please.
I recently installed knoppix to my harddrive and have been having these problems:
1) I'm having trouble setting the harddrive permissions.. I've seen other posts about it, but I couldn't figure it out. I want to make it so that both of my partitions (hda1 and hda3) are always read/write for everyone.
2) After about 10-15 minutes of being on, my sound just dies.. The only thing that works is the Line In.. no system beeps, media files, gaim sounds, etc work.. (this even happened when I was running from the CD)
Thanks for any help.
-
if the partitions are empty then this will work but it might not be the best way to doit:
as root and from a console CLI and with the partitions mounted:
chmod 777 /mnt/hda1
chmod 777 /mnt/hda3
note: 777 sets Read, Write, Execute permissions for User, Group, All
But a better way to do it and if you already have a bunch of directories and files on the partitions could be to create a new group( Music ), and add all your users to that group and then change the group setting to all directories and files on those partitions to the new "Music" group.
KUser will let you add groups and add users to that group.
chown -R :Music /mnt/hda1
chown -R :Music /mnt/hda3
If somebody knows KDE/etc better and knows of a graphical way to do this, please "chime" in since this is probably going to be a fairly common thing for home admins to want to do.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hate to say it locutus, but, thats the best way I know how to do it - 
I have a "global" location on one of my hard drives, and just did the "group" thing, like you showed... One little wrinkle that I did was, I made the "mount point" for this hard drive partition, directly under the /home folder - that way, my "users" would pretty much stay right around the /home area, and not need to "jump" all over the tree structure...
If you plan on doing the "create a specific group" method that locutus suggested, you can change the chown and chgrp commands to just 770... i.e.
chown -R 770 xxxxx
that way, the owner and group have complete access, and no one else. It is a lot safer that way.
Just "chimming" in, 
Ms. Cuddles
Similar Threads
-
By miguipda in forum Ideas
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-29-2004, 02:07 AM
-
By ryansanders2002 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-19-2004, 07:47 PM
-
By nishtya in forum General Support
Replies: 37
Last Post: 04-17-2004, 09:11 PM
-
By magi in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-01-2003, 09:04 PM
-
By junior in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-08-2003, 05:41 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99