Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Unable to run Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8

    Unable to run Knoppix

    Hello!!! I'm a completely new user to the linux world, so I have no knowledge about the system. I have a laptop running Windows XP Home Edition but it now refuses to boot. Therefore I downloaded Linux Knoppix 3.4 to try and rescue some of my data. The CD boots with no problem but after detecting the hardware and showing something like a splash-screen it goes back and finishes saying

    X-Window session terminated with erors.
    Please check and retry '/etc/init.d/xsession start'.

    Could someone guide me through some way of fixing this and being able to run Knoppix??
    I am very thankful for your help.
    Thank you much.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    try knoppix testcd, it may just be a bad burn.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    More likely, if you get all the way through to the X server starting, it's not a bad burn. The problem's that Knoppix isn't automatically configuring XFree86 correctly for either the video card (a driver problem) or the monitor (usually a vsync or hsync rate problem).

    Since the X server actually quits on you, I could be wrong but I'd guess it's a driver problem. Especially since you have a laptop which may have an esoteric chipset.

    After X quits, the reason why it quit may be explicitly displayed on screen. If not, take a look at /var/log/XFree86.0.log -- errors are marked "EE". If you can find and fix the error in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file (that's the configuration file for the X server), save it, then restart X with the command "init 5".

    Also remember that you can explicitly tell Knoppix which video card driver and refresh rate(s) to use with cheatcodes (see "knoppix-cheatcodes.txt" on the CD for more info).

    If you do (hopefully) get it going after editing XF86Config-4, you can save your configuration files (Knoppix menu > Configure > Save Knoppix configuration), and Knoppix will save your modified XF86Config-4 for future use.

    Finally, there's a section for laptops on this forum -- you could try posting your make/model and problem there, and see if anyone can recommend what to do to get X working.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8
    I've run the testcd command and it says it's ok. when the x server quits what comes up on screen is something like this

    Everything looks OK.
    Processor 0 is Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70GHz 1694MHz, 256 KB Cache
    /etc/init.d/apmd: line 15: /usr/bin/apm_available: Input/output error
    APM Bios found, power management functions enabled.
    PCMCIA found, starting cardmgr.
    cardmgr[89]: starting, version 3.2.5
    USB found, managed by hotplug: (Re-)scanning USB devices... sync:[001 001 ] Done.
    Firewire found, managed by hotplug: (Re-)scanning firewire devices... Done.
    Autoconfiguring devices... Done
    Mouse is Generic PS/2 Wheel Mouse at /dev/psaux
    Soundcard: Intel Corporation|82440MX AC97 Audio Controller driver=i810_audio
    fread magic: Input/output error
    AGP bridge detected.
    Video is ATI|Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500], using XFree86(radeon) Srever
    Monitor is Genreic Monitor, H:28.0-96.0kHz, V:50.0-75.0Hz
    Using modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    Scanning for Harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab... Done
    Network device eth0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP. (Backgrounding)
    Automounter started for: floppy cdrom.
    INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
    Executing /etc/init.d/xsession start:

    Starting single X-Window session for user knoppix.
    Please stand by a few seconds while the optimal configuration is being determined.

    After this session terminates, the system will automatically shut down.

    Starting X11...


    X-Window session termianted with errors.
    Please check and retry '/etc/init.d/xsession start'.


    About what you suggested that I should do, I don't know how I'm supposed to do it :-s I wrote those commands after the X server quitted but I got this:

    root@tty1[/]# /var/log/XFree86.0.log
    bash: /var/log/XFree86.0.log: Permission denied

    Am I doing it the wrong way???
    Thank you for the help.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    For a quick fix, try using the cheatcode "xmodule=svga" at the Knoppix boot: prompt and see if that works. Also try "xmodule=ati".

    What kind of laptop do you have?

    Oh, and to view XFree86's log, type "less /var/log/XFree86.0.log".

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8
    Those cheatcodes didn't work. Tha Knoppix I've been using is 3.4 release date 17-05-2004.
    I tried downloading version 3.4 release date 10-05-2004 and this version works on my computer with no problem

    Now I have another problem: I don't know how to configure the connection to the inernet with Knoppix.
    I use broadband cable with a Thompson cable modem that can be connected to the computer by USB or by Ethernet card. Wich one is better or is easier to configure? and how could I do that???

    Thank you very much for all your help!!!

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8
    I've been able to connect to the internet with knoppix. But before I connect I always have to use the pump command. Is there any way to fix this?? Or is there some way of making the computer do the pump command everytime it turns on, by its self???
    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to umount /KNOPPIX
    By Sgeo in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 06:35 PM
  2. Unable to allow connections through Knoppix 3.4 Box
    By norrillous in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-03-2004, 02:24 AM
  3. Unable to boot knoppix
    By sys104 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 08:36 PM
  4. I am now unable to `su -' from user knoppix.
    By rbivins in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 05:10 AM
  5. apt-get unable to do anything in hd install knoppix 3.2
    By abhi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-13-2003, 11:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1671.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Silicon Power 1TB SSD 3D NAND A55 SLC SATA III 2.5

Silicon Power 1TB SSD 3D NAND A55 SLC SATA III 2.5" SSD Laptop XBOX PS3 PC

$119.99



Dell Precision 7560 i7-11850H 2.5GHz 32GB 1TB NVMe 15.6

Dell Precision 7560 i7-11850H 2.5GHz 32GB 1TB NVMe 15.6" T1200 No OS: Fair

$459.00



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Micro Center 2-in-1 SSD Flash Drive 1TB USB-A/USB-C USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps picture

Micro Center 2-in-1 SSD Flash Drive 1TB USB-A/USB-C USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps

$240.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99