-
newbie: Partition Image reliable for NTFS?
Just started poking around in Knoppix. I like what I see so far.
Q: Can I use Knoppix's Partition Image to store my WindowsXP boot partition (NTFS) onto a FAT partition, and assume I can restore it later to the original partition?
krikke
-
The Partimage site says this:
The NTFS (Windows NT File System) is currently not fully supported: this means you will be able to save an NTFS partition if system files are not very fragmented, and if system files are not compressed. In this case, you will be able to save the partition into an image file, and you will be able to restore it after. If there is a problem when saving, an error message will be shown and you won't be able to continue. If you have successfully saved an NTFS NTFS partition, you shouldn't have problems as you restore it (except in the case of bugs). Then the best way is to try to save a partition to know if it is possible. If not, try to defragment it with diskeeper or another tool, and try to saving the partition again.
But according to what I've seen NTFS actually works well for most people in partimage. So it won't hurt to try it. And yes, you can store it on your FAT partition.
-
Junior Member
registered user
i use partimage all the time with NTFS partitions and have not had one problem with it. has worked 100% of the time in the 50 or so different machines ive imaged with it. Backing up and Restoring both work fine. And yeah you can save to FAT32.
-
OK, thanks. I've succesfully backed up the boot drives of two machines. Now I trust I can restore them if need be...
-
Senior Member
registered user
It doesn't matter the file sysem as it is a RAW read and write. Because of which you might want to zip the file up.
use this to do it
Code:
dd if=/dev/hda(or other drive) | gzip -(1 through 8 with 1 being fastest and 8 having best compresion, --fast =1 --best =8) -c | dd of=~/sambabu/hda.img.gz
changing files and folders as desired. (I sent it over to a windows computer)
then to put it back run
Code:
xcat ~/sambabu/hda.img.gz | dd of=/dev/hda
once again changing things as desired.
-
Blew it!
So I had the partimage files (created from my C: NTFS partition) on a FAT32 partition as pi.gz.000 and pi.gz.001. When restoring my 7 GBs, it fails after about 2 GB. Great, just what I needed
I had defragged prior to backup.
This is Knoppix 3.4-2004-05-17.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hmm, the file size limitation of fat, hadn't crossed my mine at the time.
Did you split the files before or after you zipped them?
If after then you can still save them.
-
partimage files
partimage splitted the file for me when I did the backup. It has an (preselected) option of maximum file size.
I also tried combining those partimage files by connecting the external drive to another WinXP comp, and
copy/B pi.gz.000+pi.gz.001 pi.gz
where the result is on an NTFS partition.
But then, Knoppix's Ark says it fails to extract the archive, and partimage also fails when trying to restore from it.
I'm in serious trouble now, it seems.
-
Yikes
Sorry to hear that krikke. Perhaps I downplayed how non-foolproof such an action can ever be. You should always back everything important up before doing anything with your partitions and such. Does it give any error messages when it fails?
-
error mess
No specific error message. It just says it fails.
Similar Threads
-
By CytoTech in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-12-2005, 01:26 PM
-
By XPuser1 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-08-2005, 08:12 AM
-
By Davidsa in forum General Support
Replies: 21
Last Post: 05-26-2004, 08:47 AM
-
By TLis in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-12-2004, 09:49 PM
-
By wooac in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-13-2004, 11:16 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Desktop RAM Black
$429.94

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V
$41.00

NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3
$550.00

LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ
$469.95