-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Cuddles
But, mzilikazi, your /usr location, did come up with around 2.4 GB of total space being used -=- Funny thing, while I watched the "junk" scroll down the screen, I realized that I still have my kernel 2.6.6 source stored there -=- I had that when I needed to compile my 2.6 kernel with the NVidia video drivers -=- can I seriously "blow" that away now??? Or should I keep it "lying" around for future??? /usr/src/linux-2.6.6 comes up with 451 MB, I also have the source for 2.4 in there, and the NVidia... du -hc /usr/src comes up with around 589 MB -
Depends on which kernel you're running. When I upgrade kernels I always keep my last working kernel installed. Just in case I need to revert. Then remove the previous "known-working-kernel" as well as any source or patches that are related. If you're runnig 2.6.6 & 2.4.* is your 'known-working-kernel' I would keep it. If you've upgraded to 2.6.8.1 then get rid of the 2.4.*
so a lot of stuff is in the /usr folder, that is unaccounted for, say, around 2 GB...
You might also have a look through your installed packages and decide if you really need all of them. Perhaps some apps have simply become so much wasted space.
If you want a very good GUI for du (it's as functional as it is ugly) do:
sudo apt-get install xdiskusage
xdiskusage&
Similar Threads
-
By TP Diffenbach in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-22-2005, 11:20 AM
-
By soofsoof in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-13-2004, 02:47 AM
-
By loam21 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-12-2004, 04:28 PM
-
By spectralshadows in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-13-2004, 05:20 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-01-2003, 02:24 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB G3D
$142.50

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive
$200.00

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99