Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: /dev/hda3 always dirty at bootup; why?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1

    /dev/hda3 always dirty at bootup; why?

    I did a Knoppix 3.4 HD install to a Compaq 433 Mhz box. I partitioned the disk like this:

    /dev/hda2 to / (about 2.5 GB)
    /dev/hda3 to /usr (about 18 GB)

    I selected the ext2 filesystem type. Everything works pretty well, except that when I shut down I have been noticing a message like "/dev/hda3 not mounted". This is *not* true--it is mounted, is listed in /etc/fstab and also in /etc/mtab (and of course the system would not operate without access to /usr). Later, when I start it up, another message says "/dev/hda3 not cleanly unmounted, forcing filesystem check". The check takes a couple of extra minutes during bootup. This happens at *every* boot. Of course, the check completes with no problems reported, and the boot sequence continues. Once booted, everything's functionally OK.

    I've checked the boot scripts for mount and umount commands and it all seems in order.

    I used a non-Knoppix rescue disk to boot up, then mounted and manually checked both /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda3. Using the ext2 filesystem utilities, I discover that /dev/hda3 is, for some reason, marked "dirty" at first, but I can clean it up, restart Knoppix, and it mounts right up with no problems. I shutdown and restart Knoppix, and /dev/hda3 is dirty again--another check forced.

    I'm beginning to think that either Knoppix or Debian are somehow bypassing /etc/fstab and the boot scripts.

    The only other odd behavior I can see is that a "shutdown -h now" command seems to power off the system before the shutdown scripts finish...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Hmm ... weird indeed. Wouldn't you by chance have two entries for hda3 in fstab, say one for /usr and another for /mnt/hda3, or something?

Similar Threads

  1. What open files like hda1, hda3 and hda5 by default?
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 04:36 AM
  2. Knoppix messes with /dev/hda3 and nvidia driver?
    By gr in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 01:26 AM
  3. dirty source.list
    By fabiand in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 12:09 AM
  4. problem mounting hda3
    By wolfpeach in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 03:23 PM
  5. Dirty Little KNOPPIX Remastering
    By PrOCesSkIlL in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 02:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$119.00



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE picture

JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE

$59.99



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter picture

Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300 (EX2300-48P) 48 Ports Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300 (EX2300-48P) 48 Ports Ethernet Switch

$249.99



 NEW Juniper EX4400-48P • 48× PoE+ Gigabit Ports • 2× 100G QSFP  picture

NEW Juniper EX4400-48P • 48× PoE+ Gigabit Ports • 2× 100G QSFP

$3500.00



Juniper EX2300-C-12P POE+ Switch 12 x 1GbE & 2 SFP+ 10G uplinks picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P POE+ Switch 12 x 1GbE & 2 SFP+ 10G uplinks

$124.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper QFX5100-24Q-3AFo 24x QSFP+ Ports Dual MGMT 2x AC Power QFX5100-24Q-AFo picture

Juniper QFX5100-24Q-3AFo 24x QSFP+ Ports Dual MGMT 2x AC Power QFX5100-24Q-AFo

$586.63