Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Absolute newbie needs help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2

    Absolute newbie needs help

    Like many I decided to try knoppix because I could run it off a CD and get my feet wet in Linux easily.

    I downloaded the 3.4 ISO and burned an image to CD.

    It boots into knoppix and I get a whole screen full of stuff it is doing/loading (video/sound etc.) UNTIL I get to the line saying "Scanning for Harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab/..._" and then it just sits there. I waited at least 5 minutes 3 times and it just hangs there never progressing any farther.

    I know nothing about knoppix and have no idea how to troubleshoot it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kampen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    166
    Type in the bootscreen 'knoppix nodma' and hit enter. If that does'nt help try 'knoppix noapic' or 'knoppix failsave'.
    http://www.eleli.de/knoppix/docs/tut...t_details.html

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2
    Thanks. I finally got it to work by using the knoppix26 command at the boot: prompt. Why it works using the 2.6 kernel and not the 2.4 kernel I have no idea.

Similar Threads

  1. Absolute newbie here...can't write to XP NTFS volume
    By tofergregg in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 03:31 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 03:54 AM
  3. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
  4. Absolute beginner needs boot options
    By translator in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 08:29 PM
  5. newbie needs some help
    By dichiam120 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-12-2003, 10:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series picture

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series

$235.99



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99