-
really newbie Question?Installation a program on knoppix?
Hi there I wanna ask u smthing : can I install a VCL player without install the Knoppix to HDD ...I mean while knoppix is workin' with cd-room can I install a program?Moreover can Mozilla use this programs plug in?
Please forgive me if this is a stupid question?
Rayesteq
-
Senior Member
registered user
It's by no means a stupid question. (But allways try to omit useless noise in topics, like 'newbie, question, please help' - that's stupid. About 95% of posts need help and have questions.)
The small answer is: "yes but no".
The long answer:
There are 3 problems I'm seeing:
a) Filepermissions:
If you install to a windows-partition (vfat, ntfs), they don't use the user-group-other rwx distinction, which might cause problems.
But you didn't tell us, that you're going to install it on a windows-partition - so you may install it to a ext3, reiserfs, xfs, whatever-filesystem.
b) Installation-procedure:
I'm mostly installing from tarballs, with 'configure, make, make install'. If you install from deb or rpm you have to read the manpages or find another anwerer.
My way would need me to specify a different install-dir:
Code:
configure --install-prefix=/mnt/mypartition/usr/local
c) Find the application on runtime:
If you boot from cd, without config-files from hd or usb-drive, the application isn't found by default, especially not if it is a plugin for mozilla.
You would have to write a small script, to have it found, or tell the browser every time, from where to take the plugin.
Note that this is only a sample:
Code:
mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/mypartition
export PATH=$PATH:/mnt/mypartition/usr/local/bin
All in all: If you use knoppix regulary, a hd-install gives many benefits. Buying an extra harddrive should be thought of.
Throwing away every windows partition is an alternative
-
Install to persistent home directory
If you don't want to install to the hard drive, you can install to any persistent directory that has enough room. Personally, I favor USB pen drives mounted as a persistent home for this sort of thing so that I can port things around with me.
The previous poster's example of how to set the configure prefix is excellent. Keep in mind, though, that not every application will compile cleanly on Knoppix, although my luck so far has been excellent in that regard.
-
Yeah
Yeah, I think I'm in the need to buy another HD boat as well.
I've had no problem installing some applications (epic works wonderfully with the configure option) but others have been extremely troublesome. It seems the only safe way to install a new program is through kilk, which as of yet doesn't have a humungous library.
I'm new to linux as well, and the problem seems to be this: many programs need to install themselves to directories stored on the CD (read-only.) Although there's a workaround, they may not survive the reboot. Core files such as libraries are also found on the CD. There's no easy way to update or add to these libraries, and sometimes you need them to help compile.
Anyone got some good websites for HDs?
Similar Threads
-
By _Christopher_ in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-13-2005, 10:25 AM
-
By MattS in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-10-2005, 10:06 PM
-
By bob58 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-22-2004, 04:30 PM
-
By JohnElmore in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-19-2003, 01:53 AM
-
By j.drake in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-15-2003, 08:17 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)
$310.00

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99

Samsung 990 Pro Solid State Drive 1TB PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD
$204.99

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77