Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Booting a remastered environment without compression

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15

    Booting a remastered environment without compression

    Hello,

    I am fairly new to KNOPPIX, but understand the remastering thing to a degree. I am building a speciailized verion for speed. I have minimized the uncompressed OS down to ~300MB. I want to know if I can build the ISO image without compressing it. Reason being is that I want SPEED for the system to boot and for all apps loading when needed. Can anyone tell me how to setup the system for booting without forcing me to compress the entire file system into the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX image file?

    Thanks and much apprecaite,

    Metzelplik

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    I think it is faster to access files from the compressed loopback device . . .

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15

    what??

    How is it possible that the loopback device is loaded faster? With networking, it is possible to compress data, and increase the throughput from system to system, but with file IO, I am not sure if the same applies. Everything being performed is within the loopback during boot, until the RAMDISK is created. So, I believe it would be slower up to this point.

    Let's assume the compression with loopback is the faster method... then let's consider this little exercise strictly acedemic..

    Thanks,

    Metzelplik

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15

    what??

    How is it possible that the loopback device is loaded faster? With networking, it is possible to compress data, and increase the throughput from system to system, but with file IO, I am not sure if the same applies. Everything being performed is within the loopback during boot, until the RAMDISK is created. So, I believe it would be slower up to this point.

    Let's assume the compression with loopback is the faster method... then let's consider this little exercise strictly acedemic..

    Thanks,

    Metzelplik

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15

    what??

    How is it possible that the loopback device is loaded faster? With networking, it is possible to compress data, and increase the throughput from system to system, but with file IO, I am not sure if the same applies. Everything being performed is within the loopback during boot, until the RAMDISK is created. So, I believe it would be slower up to this point.

    Let's assume the compression with loopback is the faster method... then let's consider this little exercise strictly acedemic..

    Thanks,

    Metzelplik

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    because your bottlneck is I/O and not cpu. Having to read less gives you better speeds.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15
    OK, let's assume that I want to use this method for determining ALL NECESSARY files on the system when it is booting. This will allow me to look at the files which are used accessed. This way, I can create a list of all files accessed on the date/time it is booted (yes I know I will have to load it read/write).... then, I can create a minimal system (for security) around the application I am building a customized CD..

    Thank you in advance for any help.

    Metzelplik

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    morphix supports booting from uncompressed isos. You may want to look into it's modified knoppix code and use that

Similar Threads

  1. Remastered CD is not booting
    By raj1478 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2005, 06:50 AM
  2. How to get a better compression??
    By Sago7 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 11:12 PM
  3. Help me.. Error booting remastered cd (3.3)..
    By Sago7 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 03:59 AM
  4. booting remastered knoppix from HD
    By mehlng in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 12:00 PM
  5. Testing and booting my remastered image before burning it
    By astormchaser in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 12:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



Samsung SH-S202 External DVD/CD Burner StarTech Enclosure USB + 25 DVD-R & Cases picture

Samsung SH-S202 External DVD/CD Burner StarTech Enclosure USB + 25 DVD-R & Cases

$64.99



Samsung 860 PRO  2TB 2.5

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 86%-90% Health

$187.00



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 FE+ 12.4

Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 FE+ 12.4" Wi‑Fi 128GB 8GB RAM Tablet Silver

$255.00



Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280  SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC picture

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC

$34.99