Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Booting a remastered environment without compression

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15

    Booting a remastered environment without compression

    Hello,

    I am fairly new to KNOPPIX, but understand the remastering thing to a degree. I am building a speciailized verion for speed. I have minimized the uncompressed OS down to ~300MB. I want to know if I can build the ISO image without compressing it. Reason being is that I want SPEED for the system to boot and for all apps loading when needed. Can anyone tell me how to setup the system for booting without forcing me to compress the entire file system into the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX image file?

    Thanks and much apprecaite,

    Metzelplik

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    I think it is faster to access files from the compressed loopback device . . .

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15

    what??

    How is it possible that the loopback device is loaded faster? With networking, it is possible to compress data, and increase the throughput from system to system, but with file IO, I am not sure if the same applies. Everything being performed is within the loopback during boot, until the RAMDISK is created. So, I believe it would be slower up to this point.

    Let's assume the compression with loopback is the faster method... then let's consider this little exercise strictly acedemic..

    Thanks,

    Metzelplik

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15

    what??

    How is it possible that the loopback device is loaded faster? With networking, it is possible to compress data, and increase the throughput from system to system, but with file IO, I am not sure if the same applies. Everything being performed is within the loopback during boot, until the RAMDISK is created. So, I believe it would be slower up to this point.

    Let's assume the compression with loopback is the faster method... then let's consider this little exercise strictly acedemic..

    Thanks,

    Metzelplik

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15

    what??

    How is it possible that the loopback device is loaded faster? With networking, it is possible to compress data, and increase the throughput from system to system, but with file IO, I am not sure if the same applies. Everything being performed is within the loopback during boot, until the RAMDISK is created. So, I believe it would be slower up to this point.

    Let's assume the compression with loopback is the faster method... then let's consider this little exercise strictly acedemic..

    Thanks,

    Metzelplik

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    because your bottlneck is I/O and not cpu. Having to read less gives you better speeds.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15
    OK, let's assume that I want to use this method for determining ALL NECESSARY files on the system when it is booting. This will allow me to look at the files which are used accessed. This way, I can create a list of all files accessed on the date/time it is booted (yes I know I will have to load it read/write).... then, I can create a minimal system (for security) around the application I am building a customized CD..

    Thank you in advance for any help.

    Metzelplik

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    morphix supports booting from uncompressed isos. You may want to look into it's modified knoppix code and use that

Similar Threads

  1. Remastered CD is not booting
    By raj1478 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2005, 06:50 AM
  2. How to get a better compression??
    By Sago7 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 11:12 PM
  3. Help me.. Error booting remastered cd (3.3)..
    By Sago7 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 03:59 AM
  4. booting remastered knoppix from HD
    By mehlng in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 12:00 PM
  5. Testing and booting my remastered image before burning it
    By astormchaser in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 12:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard

$101.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00