I think it is faster to access files from the compressed loopback device . . .
Hello,
I am fairly new to KNOPPIX, but understand the remastering thing to a degree. I am building a speciailized verion for speed. I have minimized the uncompressed OS down to ~300MB. I want to know if I can build the ISO image without compressing it. Reason being is that I want SPEED for the system to boot and for all apps loading when needed. Can anyone tell me how to setup the system for booting without forcing me to compress the entire file system into the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX image file?
Thanks and much apprecaite,
Metzelplik
I think it is faster to access files from the compressed loopback device . . .
How is it possible that the loopback device is loaded faster? With networking, it is possible to compress data, and increase the throughput from system to system, but with file IO, I am not sure if the same applies. Everything being performed is within the loopback during boot, until the RAMDISK is created. So, I believe it would be slower up to this point.
Let's assume the compression with loopback is the faster method... then let's consider this little exercise strictly acedemic..
Thanks,
Metzelplik
How is it possible that the loopback device is loaded faster? With networking, it is possible to compress data, and increase the throughput from system to system, but with file IO, I am not sure if the same applies. Everything being performed is within the loopback during boot, until the RAMDISK is created. So, I believe it would be slower up to this point.
Let's assume the compression with loopback is the faster method... then let's consider this little exercise strictly acedemic..
Thanks,
Metzelplik
How is it possible that the loopback device is loaded faster? With networking, it is possible to compress data, and increase the throughput from system to system, but with file IO, I am not sure if the same applies. Everything being performed is within the loopback during boot, until the RAMDISK is created. So, I believe it would be slower up to this point.
Let's assume the compression with loopback is the faster method... then let's consider this little exercise strictly acedemic..
Thanks,
Metzelplik
because your bottlneck is I/O and not cpu. Having to read less gives you better speeds.
OK, let's assume that I want to use this method for determining ALL NECESSARY files on the system when it is booting. This will allow me to look at the files which are used accessed. This way, I can create a list of all files accessed on the date/time it is booted (yes I know I will have to load it read/write).... then, I can create a minimal system (for security) around the application I am building a customized CD..
Thank you in advance for any help.
Metzelplik
morphix supports booting from uncompressed isos. You may want to look into it's modified knoppix code and use that

Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED
$67.76
Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly
$18.95
Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U
$159.99
Atari 1200XL Computer Game Console Vintage Rare FOR PARTS OR REPAIR READ
$270.00
Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on
$255.00
Atari 800 130XE 65XE Color S-Video, Composite Video & Audio Cable Tested
$29.78
Broken Atari 130XE Console System 130XE No Power
$129.99
GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats
$35.00
Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer
$72.00