-
Junior Member
registered user
best method(s) for performing a package removal
Hello,
I want to know if someone can recommend a "best" method for removing apps off the system. It seems that whenever I remove and app using apt-get under V3.3 the system becomes too smart and performs upgrades on apps I don't want it to perform upgrades. This is causing the system to get unnecessarily large. Also, it adds some apps I don't want. I have used
apt-get remove with no-upgrade option, but if something is being removed and is a dependency for something else, it doesn't remove it. I have found out that if I don't update resolv.conf on a "new remastered" area, then I can forefully get removals to work, but chancing problems later. I want to know if I can use
apt-get remove
to perform the removals without upgrading any apps.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Metzelplik
-
upgrade during apt-get remove <pkg>
I noticed this too when I started to remaster and strip Knoppix 3.4 (05/04/2004) last night. The stuff that upgraded wasn't nearly as big as what I was removing. If I saw anything that looked like it might mess up the system then I just didn't remove the pkg that caused the upgrade. Usually it was from "apt-get remove <multiple pkgs>".
-
upgrade during apt-get remove <pkg>
I noticed this too when I started to remaster and strip Knoppix 3.4 (05/04/2004) last night. The stuff that upgraded wasn't nearly as big as what I was removing. If I saw anything that looked like it might mess up the system then I just didn't remove the pkg that caused the upgrade. Usually it was from "apt-get remove <multiple pkgs>".
-
Personally, I haven't noticed apt-get trying to upgrade other stuff when I was removing things. But I have been working with 3.4 mainly, too.
Anyway, there's always dpkg. The syntax can be tricky compared to apt-get, but it won't try to download stuff.
Similar Threads
-
By Sw@ppa in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-26-2005, 12:40 PM
-
By HitmanKB in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-22-2004, 03:37 AM
-
By Drezliok in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-24-2004, 07:39 AM
-
By kayl in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 12
Last Post: 03-13-2004, 05:23 AM
-
By William_Olbrys in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-16-2003, 08:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59

Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5" HDD
$145.00

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy
$35.00

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00